4" Downpipe?

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried to wedge a 4" downpipe into one of these trucks?I am in the planning stages of putting a early 99 powerstroke turbo into an 86 F350 for a friend.Without pulling the engine I cant really see how much room there is.Any help would be appreciated.BTW there will be pics when this gets going.

1994IDI

Reaction score
I can't tell you for sure on the 86 model. But theres no way you would get a 4" under my '94. In the stock location, I had to beat back the firewall a good way to cram a 3" in.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
1994IDI, how much of a gap did you leave around the down pipe? I can't get mine to stop rubbing the firewall or rattling against the block. Still fighting with it when I have time off work, but looking for some tips.

1994IDI

Reaction score
There was no room. It was lightly pressed against the firewall all the time. I didn't have any block rubbing though. I recently took an exhaust hanger and bent it so it bolted between the bellhousing bolt, and the swiveling mount that comes on the ATS downpipe to keep it from falling out of the turbine housing. All around a crappy outfit, and tough setup.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's put a 4" downpipe on an OBS truck, except MAYBE with a 3" body lift...there just isn't room. Nobody sells a pipe that big, BTW, you'd have to build it yourself.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
With a 2 inch body lift, and enough bengind of the fire wall, i would say it could be done

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Heh, if you think that is a tight fit...it is even worse with the Hypermax up pipe that comes up the driver's side along the transmission. My firewall looks like hell right now lol

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Heh, if you think that is a tight fit...it is even worse with the Hypermax up pipe that comes up the driver's side along the transmission. My firewall looks like hell right now lol

If you hate it that bad then i will gladly take it off your handsLOL

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father in law put a 4" on his 96 PS, and they had to use a porta-power & a piece of pipe to pry on the firewall to make it fit.

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of trying to slide the engine forward an inch and cutting the firewall and welding in a 5" exhaust piece to make it work.and my buddy found a 4" downpipe somewhere online for the powerstroke turbo we are going to use.Has anyone even managed to mount one of these under the hood yet?I keep lookin but I havent seen one yet.Any way I think I've got it figured out how to mount it,we'll see though.Thanks for the info.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
If you hate it that bad then i will gladly take it off your handsLOL

Never said I hated it, just finding it painful to work with. Besides, I doubt you would have $4000 just laying around for me to take off your hands in return :D

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Never said I hated it, just finding it painful to work with. Besides, I doubt you would have $4000 just laying around for me to take off your hands in return :D

I think i got 4 dollars in my walletLOL just enough to get me to work and back today, im borring moms toyota while my truck is dead:rolleyes:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Do you really need a 4' down pipe? Remember newer trucks are making 300+ hp with 3" exhaust and baffeled mufflers, 3" downpipe and 4" exhaust with glasspack or similar straight through muffler is more than adequate for power and allows the turbo to spool up more quickly.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Do you really need a 4' down pipe? Remember newer trucks are making 300+ hp with 3" exhaust and baffeled mufflers, 3" downpipe and 4" exhaust with glasspack or similar straight through muffler is more than adequate for power and allows the turbo to spool up more quickly.

Bigger is always better, biggest is always the best, period end of storyLOL