4-5 mpg on 7.3 w/banks turbo

Chrismohan

Reaction score
Im getting horrible fuel mileage and not a whole bunch of power. I get no black smoke even though the ip is turned all the way up. I also can't produce more than 9lbs of boost. I have brand new injectors, fuel filters and always run sea foam. Is my pump weak? Is the bad pump the cause of low egt's and low boost

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First question: where did your injectors come from?

I'm sure others will chime in, but before you condemn your pump, you might want to verify timing.

If your timing is good, I would suspect your injector pump.

Post questions, make measurements or changes one at a time, post results, repeat.

Lots of expertise/experience here, and welcome aboard by the way.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My god man. 4-5 MPG? I'm getting twice the economy with this thing.:D

View media item 161
What vehicle do you have? Maybe you have a medium duty dump truck and your tricking us.:D

If you have just a pickup or even a F450,then how many miles are on it? What year and transmission behind it? How many miles on the engine? Have you made sure the truck rolls free down hill.No brakes locked up? I guess you'd smell them and she'd light up on fire at some point lol. Have you done a compression test on the engine? If your IDI isn't in a medium duty,then you have something seriously wrong......so says Captain obvious lol.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is timing, it plays a crucial role in performance. Do you have any fuel leaks?

Chrismohan

Reaction score

View media item 161
What vehicle do you have? Maybe you have a medium duty dump truck and your tricking us.:D

If you have just a pickup or even a F450,then how many miles are on it? What year and transmission behind it? How many miles on the engine? Have you made sure the truck rolls free down hill.No brakes locked up? I guess you'd smell them and she'd light up on fire at some point lol. Have you done a compression test on the engine? If your IDI isn't in a medium duty,then you have something seriously wrong......so says Captain obvious lol.
Im sorry, its a 89 f350 7.3 about 220k miles

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any small fuel leak will cause horrible mileage like you have posted. Any wet injectors is a fuel leak. Please answer where you purchased these "new" injectors. Many times the forum gets asked questions by saying "my new injectors suck"... when they are not new but newly rebuilt. As posted, timing is critical for any hp or mileage. How many miles are on this injection pump is a question needs answer too. Size of tires or type of trans is also important.

Chrismohan

Reaction score
First question: where did your injectors come from?

I'm sure others will chime in, but before you condemn your pump, you might want to verify timing.

If your timing is good, I would suspect your injector pump.

Post questions, make measurements or changes one at a time, post results, repeat.

Lots of expertise/experience here, and welcome aboard by the way.
I cant remember what brand of injector but they came from advanced auto. I did 2 trucks. 1 was my 86 f350 6.9 and then the 89 7.3. I would say they both ran kind of crappy after this. I individually checked each injector while truck was running and they all were working, just dont kbow how well

Chrismohan

Reaction score
Any small fuel leak will cause horrible mileage like you have posted. Any wet injectors is a fuel leak. Please answer where you purchased these "new" injectors. Many times the forum gets asked questions by saying "my new injectors suck"... when they are not new but newly rebuilt. As posted, timing is critical for any hp or mileage. How many miles are on this injection pump is a question needs answer too. Size of tires or type of trans is also important.
They are remans from advanced auto

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parts store injectors are known to be poor quality a lot of the time, also adding new injectors to a worn ip will cause it to run poorly without adjusting timing to compensate for the change in pop pressure

Chrismohan

Reaction score

View media item 161

I have about 220k miles, zf5 transmission 265/75-16 tires and a banks sidewinder turbo

Chrismohan

Reaction score
Parts store injectors are known to be poor quality a lot of the time, also adding new injectors to a worn ip will cause it to run poorly without adjusting timing to compensate for the change in pop pressure
Good point, so should i get a new pump or adjust timing

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I individually checked each injector while truck was running and they all were working, just dont kbow how well

That's impossible to do. Only way is to have a pop tester and check each one on it for pop pressure, spray pattern and leakage.

Chrismohan

Reaction score
I individually checked each injector while truck was running and they all were working, just dont kbow how well

That's impossible to do. Only way is to have a pop tester and check each one on it for pop pressure, spray pattern and leakage.
I loosened each one to rule out any 1 in particular that could be causing a problem. I know they need to be pop tested to truly test it. It was my only way of doing it on my own

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online