38 gallon rear Fuel tank

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*DOH!*

That tank comes with $96.36 shipping to my house...not a great deal after all.

Rock auto has the F26E for $152+$38 shipping, total $190. I might pull that trigger since mine leaks badly from user error...
Usually they have free shipping with a certain purchase amount. I didn't look around long enough to find out. Don't forget the 5% off code for OBN!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211125-110136_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211125-110136_Chrome.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
LMC Truck has a "conversion" kit that's about like the one in the Ebay listing that IDIoit shared. It's more money, but they list a few different ones that are supposed to be compatible with the older trucks. That's why I'm probably going to use them when I IDI swap my Red Truck. I can still use the original sender and not have to worry about whether or not the later, bigger ones will work.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to put in the big tank too, but ran into this tow frame thing. This stock? You guys have it too? My Dad just bought an 85 6.9 and it had it too.

Attachments

• 194D0880-2937-49BB-9A41-53F1674358B1.jpeg
    194D0880-2937-49BB-9A41-53F1674358B1.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 26

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to put in the big tank too, but ran into this tow frame thing. This stock? You guys have it too? My Dad just bought an 85 6.9 and it had it too.

That might have been an 80s thing. I've seen it before on an 85 I was looking to buy. I haven't seen one on a newer one but haven't looked at a whole lot of them either.

I'd just buy a new hitch so you can fit the tank. I recommend the Curtis Class 5 hitch since that's what I have on my dually. It's a little spendy but it's beefy and will probably hold more than your truck will LOL

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might have been an 80s thing. I've seen it before on an 85 I was looking to buy. I haven't seen one on a newer one but haven't looked at a whole lot of them either.

I'd just buy a new hitch so you can fit the tank. I recommend the Curtis Class 5 hitch since that's what I have on my dually. It's a little spendy but it's beefy and will probably hold more than your truck will LOL

I agree with this, and I can say that's a good hitch, I've got one myself and it's about twice as thick as the class 3 I had on another pickup. Plus it sits up out of the way and the 38 gal tank will work with it.
Don't forget the blue thread locker on the mounting bolts and torque them good, then you'll never need to worry or get in a pickle. I believe it comes with grade 8 bolts, or at least mine did.
Drilling the frame is a PITA, I recommend a step bit and lots of cutting lube.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Well about 2-3 yr ago I snagged a F26E 38 gal off EBay for about IIRC about $108 delivered & put under rear of my '90 CCLB dually. I had been watching them & they go down to like $85 or so then back to bout $135 or so. On one of the dips I caught it about $107-108.

I also found sending units on EBay at T-REX back in Iowa. Their store:

I managed to find a phone # & called T-REX directly & ordered a front & rear sending units for my '90. Saved at that time about $10-15 dealing direct instead thru EBAY with them.
Incidentally I remodified (bent & lengthened) the new sending unit & pickup, added & lengthened things. Did not put a new showerhead back in either.

One of these days soon I'm going to drop front tank and put the new front sending unit in that's still sitting on the shelf.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score

Not a bad price either!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01