3 trucks to make one!

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check your state laws. In iowa you can swap a cab with a junked VIN to a good frame, then have it inspected by the DOT and they will give it a new assigned state VIN number. Those numbers are different from factory VIN numbers and will have a state DOT decal placed in the door jamb with the new number and another notification decal in the lower corner of the windshield covering the factory VIN plate.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You said that the truck with the title in the deceased's name is in law enforcement. Why don't you have him look into it? As mentioned before, he may be able to title it in his name and then sign it over to you.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to bump him on it but he is hesitant to ask the father of the deceased man as the father did not deal well with the loss. And the man was like 19 so he doesn't want to cause undue duress.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Continuing the conversation about the deceased former owner (from the CA point of view), as long as the dead owner signed the title releasing his interest, you should be able to go to the DMV with a "statement of facts" (an actual form you can get from the DMV) and simply have the truck titled in your name or signed over, if the owner in between had signed as new owner at some point. It sounds complicated, but is pretty straight forward. Most DMVs are just a cash box for the state, and need to have all the paperwork lined up correctly. They do not spend any time considering your intent. As long as the paper trail conforms to their policies, they are happy.

But that does not solve your problem if you want an extended cab truck to drive. If that is the case, work with the salvaged (or no?) title truck. Most DMVs have a process that is simple but sometimes time consuming to follow. I bought a truck from a third party with a lost title and deceased owner AND an uncleared lien from a bank that had been out of business for several years. The truck was in CA, Lien bank was in VA. With a little help from the deceased owner's daughter, the whole process to get title in my name only took 3 months. I sent the daughter and mother a $100 bill thanking them for their help.

You have a few decisions to make, but plenty of equipment to consider. Good luck!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this will certainly give me a couple of avenues to follow. Thank y'all for your input.

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
File for a lost title, it will come back to you in the previous owners name and then it can be transferred to you by getting the p.o. to sign it over to you. A bill of sale is helpful too.

In Texas, and I think La is similar, a VIN tag can be replaced by a body shop and then getting a LEO inspection. In Houston there are specific LE divisions that deal with these issues. The body shop can also order replacement door sill stickers with the vehicle ratings and options. There are legal ways of accomplishing what you want to do even though sometimes they may seem a little gray. Find a local body shop and tell them you want to swap cabs and see if they know the process with the parts you’ve got.