2wd to 4wd

medic265

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I searched but didn't really find the answer I was looking for so I appreciate any info you folks can give.

I have a 1993 F350 4 door 2WD dually with a 7.3 idi that has a Banks Turbo/exhaust/transcommand system on it. I love my truck but the darn thing gets stuck in wet grass. :cry::cry::cry:

I would love to convert this truck to 4wd and maybe 5 speed. I've got the shop/tools and help to do it. My plan is to buy a decent used diesel 4x4 f250 and use parts from that for the conversion. I've seen as an example a 1986 Ford F250 4x4 Single Cab Lwb, 5spd 7.3 I.D.I Turbo Diesel for $1400 here on Craigslist.

My question is this: Are there any particular years that would be better than others for this conversion?

And an F250 front axle will work won't it? Will I need to do something to this to use my budd wheels?

Thanks
Greg

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
It will fit but its not a Dana 60. It will be a Dana 44 or 50 ttb. I like ttb but most prefer a straight axle

medic265

Reaction score
It will fit but its not a Dana 60. It will be a Dana 44 or 50 ttb. I like ttb but most prefer a straight axle

Thanks for the reply.

Now that raises another question. What does TTB stand for. I'm guessing that's the same thing that's on my stock 96' Bronco?

And with that in mind I might need to look for something with a Dana 60 in it. Later on or maybe during the swap I would like maybe 4"'s of lift. And I'm betting that's easier and cheaper with a straight axle?

And what would be the best years for a Dana 60?
Thanks
Greg

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Dana 60's are in 350's. And yes ttb(twin traction beam) is like what your bronco had. The ttb in 250's are leaf sprong. I'm not a Dana 60 person so they will chime in

Exekiel69

Reaction score
There is at least 3 threads in this forum with pictures (one not yet completed LOL) on how to convert from 2wd to 4wd. The search engine in this site is pretty good.
Welcome to OB.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the TTB dana 50 will suit you fine. i ran a dana 50 for a long time with 37s on it and loved how it rode, and loved how it handled but, i replaced everything that was wearable in the axle, and used poly bushing to replace every bushing in the truck. now that being said, i have converted a truck from 2wd to 4wd and used the dana 50, but you will have to make sure you measure 5 times before you set the axle pivot brackets in, or you will have problems with alignment. but for the leaf spring brackets, other then drilling the holes, lining then up is easy.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it on my 2wd, Go with tha dana 60 front axle. It helps to have a donor truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to Oil Burners OB for short...the greatest knowledge base of IDI Ford trucks hands down...so now ask lots get pics posted, and have fun....

Ok so conversion to a standard and 4x at same time eh...OK doable. Yes the purchase of a complete 4x donor is the best bet so long as you can get the needed one, 5sp diesel 4x and an F350 with a D 60 would likely be best....

Ok so you want to swap it all over to your truck? Why? Is your body incredible? Is your engine that prime? Why?

Now on to front ends,

The TTB in FULL size trucks comes in two basic types coil sprung or leaf sprung. Leaf is F250/350 depending on year, most F350's of late 80's up are solid axle 60's

The leaf spring TTB has different mounting points than a coil spring model. The arms are shorter on the leaf and it's got a different cross member than the coil model.

Depending on how deep and how far you want to go, you could potentially swap a coil spring D44 TTB front end in to your truck and then convert it to 8 lug from hub out, now this is uncertain but IIRC an early 8Lug solid 44 from Ford has the same ball joint spacing and from the knuckle out will change, but do not quote me on that I cannot recall at this point.

I do know that you CANNOT use the 8 lug knuckles from anleaf sprung F250 TTB D44HD or D50 on the coil spring Bronco/F150 D44 they are different beasts dimensionally.

Simplest, buy a 4x4 and maybe swap your body onto it? Just sayin...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Search for "brown truck under the knife" I've got what I think is a pretty good writeup and pics of a 2wd to D60 4wd conversion.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Just food for thought, but will the 4wd TTB cross member bolt in place of the 2WD? If so, it might be worth picking up a later F250 if they are relatively easy to find in your area. The other thing to think about when doing the trans swap is that pedals from an earlier truck (like the 1986 you listed) will not fit into your truck, so you are looking for parts again.

The Dana 60 is nice, but it also depends on what you can afford. Around here, they go for a premium and are not always needed. My Dana 50 is holding up fine for my uses.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapping over a TTB set up would be a nightmare. Insane to even think it.

Easiest swap will be a solid axle D44 or D60. For all intensive purposes a SA connects to the truck by way of the leaf springs, thats it. TTB is much more involved.

44's will be easier to find and cheaper but some may chime in and say thats not strong enough for a 1ton diesel application. IMO it would just depend on what youre using it for. If the need for 4WD really is just to get you out of wet grass then a 44 would be fine. If youre going to be doing any heavy/hard pulling in 4WD than the 60 would be the way to go. I dont remember off the top which 60 is better, the KP or BJ version, but others will chime in.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Just food for thought, but will the 4wd TTB cross member bolt in place of the 2WD? If so, it might be worth picking up a later F250 if they are relatively easy to find in your area..

That cross member does NOT bolt in. It is a welded part of the frame

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of confusing info in this thread. In a nutshell, this almost a easy bolt-in swap, but not quite. Holes have to be drilled, and the front of the frame has to be welded/modified, since your 2wd front frame horns are different than the 4wd frame.

There are not two flavors of TTB that will work for you, the coil sprung unit is a f150 unit. And I agree, if you are looking for a donor, get a 85.5-up f350 and save yourself the trouble of putting the center pivot brackets in place on the frame. If you are going with a ttb setup, you will need to get a dana 50 ttb for the dually hubs to work. You have a heavier truck, so the dana 60 would not be overkill for you, and if you get a dana 60 from a chassis/cab truck, it will already have the correct hubs for the dually type wheels. If you get a single wheel f350 dana 60, it can be converted to the dually type hubs.