24v hp/tq reliability question (truck building ?'s)

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am looking for some info on building a decent cummins truck for pulling/daily driving. What I am looking for is a semi-exact recipe to meet my goals so that I can know how much to budget to do it right the first time. My goals for my future truck are this:

1. I am looking to have around 300-350 RWHP and 700-750 ft/lbs tq. This would be in a SRW 4x4 extended or quad cab truck. I am more interested in the torque than the HP, this truck will not be raced or taken to the track. I do like to tow fairly heavy loads as effortlessly as possible.

2. This truck would be primarily used for everyday driving and light towing (10K lbs and under). Also, a few time a year I would like to be able to hook to a 18K-22K load and be okay egt and reliability wise (again, at most only a few times a year).

3. Would like to run 3.55 gears if this matters

4. I am not looking to sink a ton of money into trans upgrades (I am pretty easy on trucks), should I be looking for an auto or manual? No real preference here, just asking (auto would be nice...)

So here's what I am asking: What is the best recipe to meet these goals on a budget (I am a pastor and the wife is a teacher... not much $$$). The reason I am asking these specific questions is because I want to know how much it will cost me to meet my goals so that I can decide whether or not to buy a truck and go ahead. Right now I have a 1994 Ford 350 IDI turbo CC LB 4x4 with 4:10 gears. It does everything I ask it to do and is a fairly nice truck, I just would like to have more towing power if I need it. I also like modding my vehicles and that make a cummins very attractive to me (I have done about all I can to the IDI without spending some real coin for not alot of improvement).

So what are your proven (dyno numbers are great if you have them) recipes for power and reliability???

Batman

Reaction score
I'll try to answer what I can from memory. However, keep in mind, I have a dually, so my numbers would be about 25 hp less than yours with a similar setup.

With; HX-40, BD3 injectors, Comp box, 4" full exhaust I made 425 rwhp / 899 ftlbs torque. Much more than you want.

Stage 2 injectors, a mild box (not tapping the injector pump wire), large exhaust housing, 4" exhaust, performance air cleaner, and possibly a clutch, at least, fuel pressure gauge and egt gauge. Should get you around 300 rwhp.

I would not go the automatic route, as they are expensive to upgrade. Benn there, done that.

HTH,
g

GuyWithA24Valv

Reaction score
If you find a 6 speed Cummins, it should have 3.55 gears in it. I don't know what my truck makes, the one in my sig, but the superchips flashpaq is supposed to add 110 HP and 205 ft/lbs of torque on performance tune. I still can get 22 mpg with it. The NV5600 6 speed is bullet proof, or almost bullet proof. Maybe, just a lift pump, a smarty or some other tuner, maybe a little bigger injectors, exhaust, and intake would get you pretty close. Be sure one of the first things you do is get an aftermarket lift pump. Don't cheap out in that area

lukesdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a 6spd and install the following parts.

Valair Single Disc Kevlar/Ceramic Clutch
Airdog or FASS
RV275 Injectors
Edge Comp
Isspro Gauges

This will make the power you are looking for and still get good fuel mileage.

Luke