24V GP system ?s

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
What would be the cheapest yet bullet proof way to put 24 V to my GP's? Keep in mind that I have 3 batteries.

I have my own ideas, but I would like to see what you have to say too.

The 15G plugs love 24V. Ran them for about 2 mins and they glowed orange all the way up the tip it was mint!!

I will have to break up the 24V setup so that the 24V doesn't overtake the 12V system, and so that they can still charge independantly.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I remember JC Whitney selling a starter solenoid that allowed you to run your starter on 24 volts by using two batteries. Should work for the glow plugs to I would imagine.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I cant explain it too well but what you need is called a series parallel switch. It looks like a starter solenoid but does exactly what you are looking for.
Check this link out http://www.pjldiesel.com.au/docs/47.pdf
If you google "series parallel switch" there is a lot to read.
Ken

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Its DONE!!

And for less than $20!! 2 relays, and an assortment of connectors.

Basically here is how it goes. I have one switch that enables 24V to the GP circut only. That switch goes on when I'm glowing the plugs. When I start the truck and It's running, I turn the 24V switch off, and turn on the other switch which connects 2 batteries in parrallel so that all the batteries can accept a charge from my alternator.

It's amazing how it turned out. I thought I would have to have a big diode so that the 24V doesn't overtake the 12V but it can't because electricity only flows one way. I'm so happy about this!!!

In 30 seconds the plugs heat up all the way orange, with 1/3 of the tip being bright yellow. It takes 10 seconds after the plugs are off before the tip fades from orange to red.

BTW, for who wanted to know how the plugs did at 12V when cold...NOT GOOD! I would use them if your temps never get below 20*F.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Damn right! The series parallel switch is basically the professional way of doing what I wanted, I just couldn't afford it.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Can you put up a parts list and a wiring diagram? I'm trying to see in my minds eye what you did but it's escaping me.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Don't mind the crappy diagram, I think it still gets the point across. I did it in CAD first, but I don't think everyone has CAD to open the attatchment.

I think everyone has paint.

79592[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The bottom 2 batteries are stock configuration. The third battery has been in the truck for quite some time now and I had it hooked up to a relay anyway, so I didn't need to buy one.

The thick red wire is the 8ga wire that runs directly to the GP relay. I took off the constant 12V wire, and also disconnected it from the starter relay. Its the black one with orange stripe on it. The only wire on that terminal is the 24V wire. The only wire that is on the other side is the glow plugs. I took off the other 2 wires.

The second battery connects in parallel to the third battery, positive to positive, and negative to negative. Both of those connecting wires are 8ga, and both are interrupted to the 40 amp relays. Both relays are connected together to a switch in the dash, and grounded together, either to the second battery or to a chassis ground. NOT to the third battery or you won't be able to turn off the 24V. We'll call this switch 1.

The second battery also has a positive lead coming off it, and going to a 80 amp relay. The other post on the relay is going to the ground on the third battery. This makes the positive terminal on the third battery see 24V. That relay is also switched and located in my dash. Call this switch 2.

That's it from what I can tell. When you start the truck up in the morning, you are going to have switch 1 off, and switch 2 on. You glow the plugs with the manual button to a time of your choosing, and crank the engine. The truck will run on this setup, but it wont charge the third battery. You must then turn off switch 2 FIRST, and then turn on switch 1 which connects the batteries in parallel and all 3 are now charging. When you shut off the truck make sure all switches are off, and NEVER have both switches on at the same time or you'll be looking for new relays (I think, if not worse). Oh yeah, and if you don't have switch 2 on when you glow the plugs, you'll only be giving them 12V, switch 2 must be on for 24V.

This can be done with just 2 batteries, but I had 3 already so I utilized them. I would assume the same will work for a 2 battery system by just taking away battery 1 from the schematic.

The stock GP relay and GP wires are strong enough to withstand the 24V for atleast 2 minutes, as that is how long I've tested them.

Complete parts list:

2, 4-post 40 amp relays, slide connector type.
1, 4 post 80 amp relay, stud type.
10' of 8ga wire.
20' 18ga wire. (I already had the switches ran so I just put the wires to the relays, so I didn't buy this wire)
8ga female slide connectors
18ga female slide connectors
8ga copper lugs along with new battery terminals for multiple connections to the same terminal.
Switches of your choosing.

Attachments

• GPdiagram.jpg
    GPdiagram.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Here are some more pics and a vid. The vid was @24*F when I started it, with an overnight low of 7*F. 30 second glow. I'm not talking in the vid, so you'll only hear the engine. Turn up the sound.

First switch I hit was the 24V switch, second one after starting is the charging circut.

^ A little brighter eh?

^ Rats nest before

^ 2 packs of split loom later, not bad.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
NEW FINDINGS!

Not good either. The circut works perfectly but I woke up to 6 burned out plugs. Very odd seems how I've had them glowing for over 3 minutes at a time with no ill effects other than some chrome on the plug flaking off due to the damn heat. So I am now looking for 24V glow plugs, or perhaps there is a resistor for the AM General Hummer's GP's that I can look into.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online