240,000 miles on original injectors?????

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my fuel feedback plastic thingys and hoses and pulled out one of the injectors. It says Stanadyne and date 5-93 then a 6 digit number and Made in Italy. No letter codes or anything like that. Truck is a '93 and runs good. Could these be original injectors? PS what is torque for injector into head? THanks. SIncerely, ANdy.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've had IDI's with slightly more miles on the original injectors. Even so, I would replace them, I guarantee you will feel the power difference with that many miles.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm replacing my fuel feedback plastic thingys and hoses and pulled out one of the injectors. It says Stanadyne and date 5-93 then a 6 digit number and Made in Italy. No letter codes or anything like that. Truck is a '93 and runs good. Could these be original injectors? PS what is torque for injector into head? THanks. SIncerely, ANdy.

Haynes reads 35lbs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed my injectors at 197,000 and did not notice ANY difference.

Unless you changed your pump too, I wouldn't be surprised if it felt like it had less power. When you change your injectors, you need to get your pump timing verified, because the fresh spring presure can retard your timing. You may also need to turn up a tired pump for more fuel delivery to help compensate. The fuel system is a great design because the parts get along with each other so well. (this is probably a bad example but here it goes) It's like a marriage, where they say that after a while two people who have been married a long time start to look like each other. The injector and pump fit together like a glove, and if you change one without changing the other you won't get the full benefit of either, and they may not be happy together if one is full of energy and the other is tuckered out.

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I DID change the pump at the same wrenching session. I did not have the old injectors tested, This truck has been very good to me, not many problems.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I'd bet your timing isn't right. There is no way you can replace an old pump and injectors with that kind of milage on them, and NOT feel a difference.

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same, the problem I have is that I'm at 6000ft plus and these IDI's don't seem to preform well up here. I played with the timing and got more power along with LOTS more egt's. Went on a 1000 mile trip and averaged 14.8 mpg. half of the trip at 6500ft plus. IMHO the injectors on these trucks last a long time.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW! at that altitude, you NEED a turbo.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacement Injectors follow-up update.

The pump on my truck has a rebuild tag on it - I have no idea when, but it says it was remanufactured. Perhaps they rebuilt the original pump and rebuilt the original injectors at the same time - this would explain the old date code (5/92) and the fact that these are probably the injectors that came with the truck when new (Stanadyne Made in Italy P/N 781535.)

It would also (help) explain why the truck runs so well with so many miles... I'm reluctant to replace these injectors but was just considering it since I am "in there" anyway. I priced out a couple and have a rebuilt price range of around $50.00 each. But these are unknown brand or re builder. I would just as soon have mine rebuilt by somebody - I've heard that the Stanadyne are desirable units - but is there really a difference? Can someone out there talk me into getting new injectors, buying blind boxed units, or having mine rebuilt?? Any brand differences?? Vendors you've done well with?? Thanks. Andy

snatchal

Reaction score
A few months ago my fuel return lines were leaking. I didn't know how old the injectors were so I thought the same thing as you, "as long as I'm in there" now would be the time to replace them. I bought a new set of Delphis and a return line kit for about $325 shipped to my door fromhttp://stores.ebay.com/Electronic-Injection-Services. I also replaced the glow plugs (75 bucks from auto zone) at the same time. Everything is working as it should so far.

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! at that altitude, you NEED a turbo.

That's the problem, the truck lived at sea level for 15+ years and it runs so good I hate to change things. I have a donor truck with turbo and gear vendors staked out, I'm just a procrastinator. I use it for 20 mile or less trips mostly and get by. Keep my foot out of it on grades and keep thinking about head gasket,studs,turbo,removing engine, GV.... You see my dilema. When I get off the mountian it still goes like hell. Thanks for the advice.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Hey snatchal, how did you pay $325 ? Their store shows the set of new injectors for $190. Diesel Care's store has them too, for about the same price.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Diese...lZ163331786QQsatitleZ7Q2e3Q20injectorQQsofpZ0
They have a set of rebuilt ones for $120 and the installation kit for $25.
Andrew, fifty bucks is way too much to pay to get your injectors rebuilt with cheaper prices like these out there.

snatchal

Reaction score
Hey snatchal, how did you pay $325 ? Their store shows the set of new injectors for $190. Diesel Care's store has them too, for about the same price.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Diese...lZ163331786QQsatitleZ7Q2e3Q20injectorQQsofpZ0
They have a set of rebuilt ones for $120 and the installation kit for $25.
Andrew, fifty bucks is way too much to pay to get your injectors rebuilt with cheaper prices like these out there.

Oops, sorry. $225.70. I've got a great memory, just short.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel