2019 Rally Convoy

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As we are getting closer to rally time I thought I'd bump this back to the top so we can start planning our stops along the way if anyone wants to join in on the convoy. Here is the preliminary route I was planning to take down.

Shared route
From 22 Old Forge Rd to 5406 Pittman Center Rd via I-81 S.

8 hr 39 min (567 mi)
8 hr 39 min in current traffic

1. Head north on Old Forge Rd toward Penny Ln
2. Turn left onto PA-934
3. Turn right onto the I-81 S ramp to Harrisburg
4. Merge onto I-81 S
5. Keep right at the fork to stay on I-81 S
6. Use the left lane to take exit 1A for I-40 E toward Asheville
7. Take exit 435 for U.S. 321/TN-32 toward Gatlinburg
8. Turn right onto US-321 S
9. Turn left to stay on US-321 S
10. Turn right to stay on US-321 S
11. Turn right onto Pittman Center Rd
12. Turn left onto Greenbrier Island Rd
13. Turn left to stay on Greenbrier Island Rd
14. Arrive at location: 5406 Pittman Center Rd
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rkn6ZKDCJJ7ujvop7

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s my general route as well. I think fuel is generally cheaper in VA than MD and WV so that may influence your decisions on stops. @tjsea what is your fuel window? At 300 miles I start looking. Assuming my usual 10 mpg. I won’t necessarily be looking for fuel in hagarstown if we want to meet up there. It opens up possibilities if nobody else is in need. Where did you guys meet before our there on the way to KY or VA for that matter.

Edit: yes looks like VA and TN is cheaper than PA and MD if that’s a consideration.

Last edited:

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@laserjock I should be around the 300 mile range too. Truth is I don't have any towing fuel mileage results since I changed a few things, but 10mpg is probably a good guess. I know Virginia always was a bit cheaper fuel wise before. I can't remember where we stopped on the Kentucky trip. Where are you planning on getting onto I-81 at? We could always meet you there and if everyone is still good on fuel run a little farther down for fuel. I'm sure with kids and ladies along a break every now and then would probally be good.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m coming up 70 to hagarstown. The trip through harpers ferry sucks towing. I’ve done that twice now. It’s no slower towing to go to hagarstown and turn south.

Looks like there is a big flying J just as you cross into Va from WV. Right now they are $3.10 a gallon. That’s 88 miles for me roughly. About an hour and a half. I don’t care where we stop as long as I can get in and out. I think the wife is going separate so if she needs to stop more, that’s okay. That being said, I’m getting too old to believe in suffering on a trip. When ya gotta go you gotta go. About 3-3.5 hrs is my limit anymore. I used to drive from Nashville to my folks in one stop. Usually to load up on fuel in KY when I crossed the TN border. It was almost 600 miles. Those days are over. LOL

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I usually gotta get out and walk around every now since I'm not used to sitting that long. 3hrs I'm usually getting a bit antsy, lol! I'll have to measure things out and see where to grab fuel. Sounds like we can meet you in Hagerstown though if you want Mike? Yep, we are planning on convoying down Saturday. That's when I made my reservations for anyways. I think @subway was planning on convoying along to so I'll have to see what his plans are.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Jill is still talking about splitting the days for travel. i would like to join the convoy so we will see LOL we will definitely have some stops though if i am in it. i can go a long time on the road but with kids plan on stopping about an hour after the last stop if they get drinks LOL

the good news is we usually do it real quick on a pull off, in the camper and out, back on the road.

i have learned with a family you have to take a more relaxed enjoy the trip approach. no more "the GPS is setting the time to beat!" travel.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem man. If you guys decide to split the trip into two days we could always meet up with you on Saturday wherever you guys decided to stop for the night. It's totally up to you. We can figure that out closer to the rally if you want too. I'm sure you have a ton of other planning going on at the moment anyways, lol!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. This is on the edge of what I consider a 1 day trip. As long as things go okay, it won’t be too bad. We did KY back in a day. This is pretty similar for us. It was a long day but doable. If the wife goes separate it alleviates a lot of stress for us. It’s not so much that she likes the idea of autonomy. The question is with the kid. He says he’s riding with me so.... we will see.

I’m sure we will want a lunch stop. Probably do a reasonable sit-down to give us a break.

If I was going by myself I would probably cannonball it. It’s been a while since I did one of those so my stamina may not be what it once was. I’m starting to get excited now. It will be here before we know it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have learned with a family you have to take a more relaxed enjoy the trip approach. no more "the GPS is setting the time to beat!" travel.

Yeah I'm not up to long drives straight through, I get tired and have to stop and stretch.

I was hoping to convoy part way but after looking at my trip closer I won't be heading the same direction as you guys.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not up to long drives straight through, I get tired and have to stop and stretch.

I was hoping to convoy part way but after looking at my trip closer I won't be heading the same direction as you guys.

BOOOOOO!!! LOL

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was mapping things out a bit tonight. It looks like Hagerstown, MD is about an 1 1/2 from me too so I won't need fuel yet. If you wanted @laserjock we could meet you there, but continue down into VA and fuel up somewhere near Harrisonburg. It looks like there are quite a few Loves, Flying J, Petro, TA, etc travel stops before and after Harrisonburg. If we fuel there that should get us into TN where fuel will be the cheapest. Obviously we will probably need to make a few pitstops along the way too. Has anyone heard from @reset2 if he is going to join in the convoy? @subway you'll have to let us know any we can sync up wherever. I know you guys were talking about breaking up the trip so we could meet up with you a little farther down if you wanted.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could meet at the WV welcome center on I-81 if nobody needs fuel. If I’m reading my map scale right, it’s only about 5 miles from the 70/81 junction. Should be easy on and easy off.

Thoughts?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would work for us. After the first 1.5hrs I'll probally be ready to stretch my legs a little. The first part of the trip is always the worst when I'm not used to sitting much, lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7