2002 7.3 intermittent blue smoke

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange issue every once in a while upon acceleration it will throw out some blueish white smoke and then stop. Today i heard what sounding like a pop and I looked back and there the blue/white smoke then went away tried to replicate issue and no smoke. The engine was fully warmed up went approx 30 miles stopped approx 5 mins at college to pickup papers. I drove it approx 3-4 miles on backroads to freeway entrance ramp and thats when it happened. Any ideas would the ebpv do this? Maybe its closing during the backroads and getting stuck on accelerations.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would a injector cause the engine to misfire and or accelerate sluggish. I guess I need to read up on the test on the injectors buzz is the word. The truck had 165k on it and most likely original injectors we purchased at 119k. Forgot to mentioned just changed the oil with motorcraft 15-40 has less than 500 miles on it. But i noticed it with the shell synthetic 5-40 also. I changed the fuel pump this last spring would that have anything to do with it, know that i think of it all was ok before the old pump went out. Hopefully when the old fuel pump went out it didn't do something with the injectors.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes and yes. I have 172K on mine and had an injector go out and I'm pretty sure the rest are toast but its still running ok with out any miss fires so I'm holding out hoping that when they get bad or another one goes I'll have the money to get all of them. Mileage really don't mean anything as the truck could have sat and idled alot. I have a buddy with over 350k and still on the original injectors but I just had an international fuel truck with 74k miles that needed all 8 but that truck had over 8000 hours on it. Blue smoke means unburnt fuel so either you have a weak cylinder or an injector not atomizing the fuel properly so it will burn

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the good thing is i dont think its a week cylinder because its intermittent. I will run some of the power service in it and see if there is a difference. Its worth a try

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
maybe an injector seal? just throwing it out there. not sure if that would make it do that or not.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for the reply i can use any info i can get, would you start to burn oil if the seals were going bad? There is something else that I noticed after looking at other posts of issues with these engines it does have a intermittent i wouldnt call it a miss but not smooth idle when the truck is warm. What i understand its an issue with the ipr should i pursue that avenue also maybe the two are related?

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wife mentioned it did it today again noticed smoke then a ****/pop and it went away just like that. running good for a couple weeks still not sure what the issue is. running some power service in it to see if that could take care of it