2000 f250 what to check.

Farmer Jon

Reaction score
Im a Chevy guy but I like the 7.3 engines so im looking at this truck. What are some things I need to look for? I can see the coolant tank is cracked and theres oil on the intake boot.
2000 2 wheel drive. They want 8,800.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles?

Do they have documented service?

Just like any old vehicle, things will wear out and need to be replaced, hence the service records would be helpful.

Easy test for the engine is to ask it to be started cold. Immediately take the oil cap off and place it inverted on the fill stem. The cap should sit there and not blow off. If it passes this test you should assume the engine is in good working order with no blow-by.

Farmer Jon

Reaction score
Documents for the past 3 years. It has about 280k on it.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Documents for the past 3 years. It has about 280k on it.

seems high in my opinion especially being 2wd. I'd offer around $5k for it if everything checks out.

for reference 5 years ago I bought my 99 CC 4x4 manual transmission truck with zero rust from california/virginia for $6k with 215k miles on it.

Farmer Jon

Reaction score
I was wrong about the miles. 234k. I thought it was a little high also. I went ahead and bought it for 8400. In the past 15,000 miles its had new brakes all around, new ball joints, alignment, and new all terrain tires. And and a couple other things I forgot. I got the receipts.

Oldfrogdiving

Reaction score
Check the glove box and see if there is a spare CPS in it if not buy one (about 27.00 for the motorcraft one). Check for fuel leaks in the valley, and condition of fuel hoses. Enjoy your new truck!