2" semi-trash pump for waste oil transfer?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I did. I actually might have had the 2" version as my hoses are 2". Hopefully yours works better than mine. If you were closer I'd give you my suction hose, wand and discharge hose.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... so did some testing today as we had a tote we needed to relocate. I must say, I love this pump! We didnt want to waste time/money on building a suction wand or getting valves yet so we still need to do that... but now that we know it works, we'll work out some little bugs.

Click the picture for the video.
You must be registered for see images attach

We were able to empty a 275 gallon tote in about 5 minutes of run time. We had a few issues keeping the pump primed but once we got that figured out, it MOVED the oil. Once we get a suction wand/strainer built, it should make for a much cleaner and easier setup to work with. We are also thinking about switching out the flexible outlet hose to something more rigid like the suction hose just for ease of use. Going to plumb the outlet directly to one of the tank lids (lid has a 2"npt port in the center) with some swivel unions and some valving. Then all we'll have to mess with is the wand.

The hoses we are using specifically say not for use with petroleum products... so may have to find some chemical rated hose. I also have a feeling that eventually, the oil will eat the seals in the pump at which point, we'll pull them and replace them with viton (have a local seal/bearing shop that can get just about anything).

Anyways... I'll post up some pictures and videos once we get it all worked out.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for ya. Maybe I just got a junker .. It is HF after all.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for ya. Maybe I just got a junker .. It is HF after all.

Its possible. I know that when the pump wasnt completely free of air, it was slow and what not. It took a bit to figure out how to get it fully primed and running smoothly. Once all of the air was purged, it was similar to holding onto a fire hose. Had quite a bit of force behind it and was flowing really quick.

I'm curious if yours was cavitating or sucking a little air from a weak seal or something along those lines...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Wow, that pump was rocking it! Glad you got it going.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not a battery powered drill motor on a BBC oil pump... Or a BBC oil pump on a weed wacker motor.. Just a thought. Or a harbor freight 12 volt powered pump and then run it off the truck battery for power. I recall my sil was transferring diesel to remote cell phone generator sites way up in the desert mountains. He would haul 300 gallons of diesel up to them once a week. The company gave him a 4x4 diesel Cummins truck to get up the really step dirt path they called a road. I went with him once.. Talk about remote and dry.. but you could see for miles every direction....

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not a battery powered drill motor on a BBC oil pump... Or a BBC oil pump on a weed wacker motor.. Just a thought. Or a harbor freight 12 volt powered pump and then run it off the truck battery for power. I recall my sil was transferring diesel to remote cell phone generator sites way up in the desert mountains. He would haul 300 gallons of diesel up to them once a week. The company gave him a 4x4 diesel Cummins truck to get up the really step dirt path they called a road. I went with him once.. Talk about remote and dry.. but you could see for miles every direction....

I like using our small pump (BBC tapped for 1"not driven by 1/4hp electric motor) for drums and what not.. but emptying 275 or 330gallon totes would take an hour or more.

Most of our pickups have big totes now and this trash pump will drain one in 5-10 minutes. Time is money... lol

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a few years ago we used a similar pump to transfer water to a field sprayer...
Never had a problem with pumping the water because the inlet side of the pump was only 3' from 1500 gals of water...
The pump did have a small plug on the top of the inlet housing, which we'd pour water in to prime if needed....
Nice way to transfer wmo....
"AcidBurn may your hoses never burst" (failed attempt at John Carson humor)

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the same setup only the little 1 inch pump.. Works find.. pumps a bunch of oil, or diesel, either one. The only trick is to make sure the pump is primed full of what ever you are pumping and there are no vacuum leaks.

I use ball valves on both inlet and outlet of the pump, with quick disconnects on the hoses. Makes it super easy to roll up the hoses and stow the pump.. I also use swimming pool hose. the smooth wall poly plastic semi rigid stuff. It has been working for 3 years and shows no injury from WMO, WVO, or Diesel fuel.

I rigged the hoses so there is a male on one end, a female fitting on the other end. When I roll up the hose, I connect the ends.. it keeps the hose clean, and leaves no drip mess. I use a stinger and a 90 degree elbow into a male quick disconnect on both the pickup and the delivery hose.. the pickups are 1 inch schedule 40 plastic pipe.. bottom end is cut at an angle so the pipe doesn't suck to bottom of the barrel on pickup side..

The exit hose stinger helps hold the hose in the receiving barrel or tank.. so I can pay attention to the pickup stinger..

Works well for me.. your mileage may vary....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online