2" semi-trash pump for waste oil transfer?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone using a gas powered 2" trash/semi trash pump to pick-up waste oil?

I thought I had seen a few members on here doing it but wanted to see if anyone was having luck with it...

We picked up a 2" pump (semi-trash rated) for cheap and haven't tested it as of yet.

Input?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
From what I hear they work well if you are feeding oil to them. They can't create a strong vacuum at all to "suck" out oil and prime themselves.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
For moving oil look up plans for a super sucker. Vacuum seems to be the most efficient by far at moving oil a good speed. Like a 55 gallon barrel in about 30 seconds.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked into it quite a bit... only problem is we are doing large volume pick-ups and I cant find a decent size tank for a reasonable price. I cant spend 800+ on a used propane tank (about the going rate around here sadly).

We bought the 2" version of that pump a few months back on sale.. we're gonna give it a test run this weekend to move a few totes around. Hopefully we have better luck then that as I can run my BBC pump and fill a 55 gallon drum in less then 10 minutes. Just dont want to tote around a generator and a pump. Lol

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My next wmo collection pump will either be a super sucker or bbc pump driven by a small gas engine, in a small cage that can be easily carried.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know... lol. I've had one of these pumps seize before when picking up some oil... damn near broke my wrist (powering it with a cordless 1/2" drill at that time). I'd say if that happened with a gas engine, the coupler between the pump and engine would become shrapnel....

It would probably work... would just take some engineering to get it right.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe I've seen people run valves on both ends of hoses. Then they try to leave oil in them, to kinda keep it primed so to speak.
Could be wrong, been awhile since I looked into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if you had an air leak on the suction side or something... it's just odd that wvo guys swear by them (even in cold weather) but it wouldn't work trying to pull wmo...

The pump I've got has a check valve built into the inlet. Plan is to build a 1.5" PVC wand perforated with 3/16 holes near the end and a valve at the top. 1.5" rigid suction hose to a 2" adapter to the pump. Then a 2" discharge line.

We'll see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll keep it to transfer water or something.