2 piece down pipe leaking! Cant get it to stop

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive tried everything and its still leaking nastyness into the cab, especially when the heater is on.

Any ideas?

What about routing where the heater pulls in the air?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to slot mine with a hack saw to get it to crush properly. Be sure you dont have bad up pipe gaskets too....... ;)

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i checked again... its definitely the down pipe. I have one of those nice accuseal clamps on their square and as tight as i can get it!

Mike did you just slot it the width of the blade at say 20 places then or? Pics?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I had it apart I reassembled the all joints with High Temp Copper sealant. Let it tack up then assembled and allowed to cure. Haven't had any leaks since.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so im going to attempt to fix this this weekend. Im debating ditching the two piece down pipe and putting some type of flexible exhaust tubing from the turbo down to the cat so there is no leak possible. Has anyone done this? Anyone have any other suggestions?

like this except bigger http://www.jcwhitney.com/FLEXIBLE_EXHAUST_TUBING?ID=12;0;0;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2006251;0;0 from napa

Don't think I would use flex, any distorsion will cause it to leak. Like flattening or short bends.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its driving me nuts. i cant stand not being able to use my heater etc and having to keep the windows down because of it sucking the exhaust in. Any other ideas?

has anyone had luck welding the spot where the two pieces meet shut and solid? I realize getting it off after that would be hard if not impossible, but has anyone done it so it doesn't have a seem to leak through?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike did you just slot it the width of the blade at say 20 places then or? Pics?

I just made 4 slots (2 cuts) with a hack saw. Basically each cut was 90 degrees out from the other around the circumference. Each cut was almost as long as how deep the inner pipe slid in.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone had luck welding the spot where the two pieces meet shut and solid? I realize getting it off after that would be hard if not impossible, but has anyone done it so it doesn't have a seem to leak through?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about putting some sort of seam caulker in between the joints then assembling and crushing them then?

aaklingler

Reaction score
If you can find something that can stand 1200 degrees it would be worth a try, maybe wouldn't need to crush it.

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Maybe you are looking in the wrong place. The heater / a/c takes in its air through the opening in front of windshield. Try replacing the rubber seal between the cowl and the hood. This did wonders for mine as far as smelling the exhaust and engine
Foxman