2 glow cycles now

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck has always started with 1 cycle. Lately it has needed 2. I turn the key on,wait 8-10 seconds for the light to go out but it does not start. I turn he key off and glow it again and it fires up.

Thoughts?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Probably bad/weak glow plugs, but could be poor connections. My F250 got worse and worse as they went bad. Plus they were Autolites from a past owner. I seem to recall that of them were bad, but thankfully none were swollen and none broke.

I'm quite shocked my RV has good plugs still, since they are quite possibly the originals.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go with Motorcraft or Beru glow plugs only. ALL of the others are junk. They will be swollen and or break when you go to pull them.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Go with Motorcraft or Beru glow plugs only. ALL of the others are junk. They will be swollen and or break when you go to pull them.

Agreed, although I got lucky; none of the autolites in mine did.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft or beru only on stock controller. There's a few brands I trust if you go manual but the controller eats them up fast

Black dawg

Reaction score
I would verify that amperage is actually flowing on that first cycle. I assume you have the 7.3 style system......the wait to start light can be on without actually powering the glow plugs.

Also check B+ wiring from battery to the controller for melted connections.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Before you go crazy with the glow plugs, just use the block heater trick in order to eliminate possible fuel issues.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you go crazy with the glow plugs, just use the block heater trick in order to eliminate possible fuel issues.
Block Heater trick meaning use the block Heater?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes. Plug it in for a while to see if it starts on one glow plug cycle instead of two. If it does, then your problem is probably glow plug/controller related.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a block heater. It fell out one day so I put a freeze plug in it's place. Didn't think I would ever need it in the desert
I put motorcraft glow plugs on it about 7 years ago. I fixed the wire for them that burns up at the connection too. I did clean my battery cables today. No green corrosion but some grey between the post and cables. Will see if that helped

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of temps are you seeing with these starting issues?

My 6.9 doesn’t even need glow plugs if it’s been plugged in. I have a manual bypass though.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel quality is another contributor to lazy starts. I've noticed over the last few years winter fuel quality seems to be worse. Might consider trying a triple dose of fuel additive to increase certain before going down the glow plugs and wiring check list.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since you don't have one, it's a moot point, but that's definitely cold enough for the block heater trick. You don't really need one at that temperature. I've only used mine once since I've been living in the house I'm in now. It was supposed to get to the -teens (and it did) with the wind blowing hard, and I wanted the truck to start the next morning (which it did).

Jim993

Reaction score
I think it is likely that the glow plug relay contacts are getting burned and not allowing enough current to the glow plugs. In 22 years my '85 6.9 has gone through 5 glow plug relays, often with similar symptoms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online