2 degrees or 4 degrees by turning the injection pump 1/16"

bad67ford

Reaction score
Just converted my n/a 7.3 to a factory ats turbo the conversion went well running good. The only thing was it felt a little restricted then i remembered the timing was at 9.0 btdc. So proceeded to retard the pump between a 1/32-1/16. Boost spools much quicker now and I have more of it which is what i was trying to do.Also you can now hear the turbo at idle. I read on the hypermax website that a 1/16 was 2 degrees also have seen people say that it was 4 degrees.I would think retarding it 2 degrees to 7btdc would be a good start maybe one of the guys who have a meter can chime in and tell me if I'm on the right track.

thanks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the pump. To a certain degree you can say that X amount of movement equals Y number of degrees, but the amount of wear on the pump makes more of a difference.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was that easy, we wouldn’t need timing meters that often. Really no way of telling unless you put a meter on engine.
Too far advanced will burn GP tips right off I can tell you that much.
If the turbo spools easier when you retarded the pump compared to where it was set earlier, I would leave it there. Sounds like it might be in the ballpark.

bad67ford

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I was thinking pump has maybe 2500 miles on it and it is a baby moose

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It really depends on the pump. To a certain degree you can say that X amount of movement equals Y number of degrees, but the amount of wear on the pump makes more of a difference.
Pretty much what I was going to say.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726