Timing question #1 vs #4 cyl

Meatloaf326

Reaction score
I’ve got an 89 NA idi in a van with a reman in it as well as new injector lines for the truck with no timing adapter. I figured the engine didn’t know it was in a van and timed it on the first cylinder to 7* btdc. Result was tons of white smoke and no power so I checked the timing on cylinder 4 which read a negative reading (I can’t remember exactly there were so many readings but I think it was -4*). I now have it set now to 10.5* btdc on cyl #4 and it feels pretty good too me. I’m going to try and retard it a degree or two tomorrow. My question is basically why is this happening? Previously I thought either 1 or 4 would work but I know little on this topic.

Also if anyone wants to chime in on timing preferences for NA idi vs turbo. I’ve read 7.5-8.5 btdc for all idis but have also read closer to 10* for NA.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I’ve got an 89 NA idi in a van with a reman in it as well as new injector lines for the truck with no timing adapter. I figured the engine didn’t know it was in a van and timed it on the first cylinder to 7* btdc. Result was tons of white smoke and no power so I checked the timing on cylinder 4 which read a negative reading (I can’t remember exactly there were so many readings but I think it was -4*). I now have it set now to 10.5* btdc on cyl #4 and it feels pretty good too me. I’m going to try and retard it a degree or two tomorrow. My question is basically why is this happening? Previously I thought either 1 or 4 would work but I know little on this topic.

Also if anyone wants to chime in on timing preferences for NA idi vs turbo. I’ve read 7.5-8.5 btdc for all idis but have also read closer to 10* for NA.
Meatloaf,

Guessing you know but make sure you know the right cylinder chart. Ford is different than Chevy. Number 1 is closest to radiator passenger side.

I do not have a van so not sure about if 1 and 4 will both work. Recall some van owners saying they use #4.

Most suggest 8.5* or 9.5* btdc at 2,000 rpms. Your choice.

Hope that helps.