1st timer pulling idi turbodiesel

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
So, does anyone have any ideas as to why the cyllinder cracked? Was it cavatation that weakened the wall and my continued beating on it caused the crack? I guess it could have just been a fluke happening, This does not seem too common.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone have any ideas as to why the cyllinder cracked? Was it cavatation that weakened the wall and my continued beating on it caused the crack? I guess it could have just been a fluke happening, This does not seem too common.

Theories could abound....you could go with oil starvation in the main, that then caused the metal to heat way up weakening it resulting in metal fatigue. Or the crank became unbalanced and it vibrated it's self to death. It had a stress fracture that finally let go. The cranked seized and snapped. Or you ran Pennzoil and killed it.

Knight_3000

Reaction score
Its not always the HF stuff (in my case it was), its the way that buying foreign crap ruins our economy and how this stuff is acceptable in todays throw away world. China owns our precious metals now, our factories and steel plants are no longer here, the shipping industry is the biggest user of fossil fuel in the world and our unemployment is through the roof. If you are a tree hugger, take pride knowing that the laws regarding polluting are much looser over seas also. HF just embraces all of what I can't stand in regards to our country no longer being able to sustain itself.

Part of This is Gonna be a Minor Thread jack
But May be of some interest to a few of you, I know I am new here but if the Patriotic/political nature of this Post Violates the Terms Of Use I apologize In advance and Promise I will not make another Post Such as this In the future Unless It comes Up in another Topic

I agree with You totally I do work to Protect the Environment From Senseless Pollution such as Oil spills and things of that nature But I am a car nut and I REFUSE to give up My gas guzzler Simply because it don't get better than 10mpg My f250 when It was running was getting 18-22mpg because of the 38inch tires and 3.55 gears coupled to the ZF S5-42 Manual trans

THREAD JACK SECTION

As far as the Economy goes Most of the Problems with this country can be Directly Blamed on our "Corrupt" Government and the Fact that they have OVER-Regulated Virtually every aspect of Manufacturing out of this Once great and Powerful Nation(I say it this way cuz its going Down hill FAST) and as a Result the People that Dont want to work are being supported by the ones that do and the ones that Have been trying to find work(like myself) Are forced thru no other choice to be supported by the People that are still working (A fact that I am not Proud of, I hate not having a Job)

and to be Honest the only way we are gonna Fix Our government and Our Country is to Take Over our Government By getting Voted into office and Fixing things from the Inside out

If any of you are Interested I also have an Excellent Understanding of the Constitution come Check out my website I have Information regarding alot of stuf that is related to the Constitution that dates Back to 1819 as well as all of the Founding Documents and the Federalist and anti-federalist papers

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Theories could abound....you could go with oil starvation in the main, that then caused the metal to heat way up weakening it resulting in metal fatigue. Or the crank became unbalanced and it vibrated it's self to death. It had a stress fracture that finally let go. The cranked seized and snapped. Or you ran Pennzoil and killed it.

Umm, my crank is fine. The crack is in the cyllinder wall through to the water jacket. That is why I suggested that cavatation may have brought this on. Nice hint on Penzoil though. ;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score

But May be of some interest to a few of you, I know I am new here but if the Patriotic/political nature of this Post Violates the Terms Of Use I apologize In advance and Promise I will not make another Post Such as this In the future Unless It comes Up in another Topic

I agree with You totally I do work to Protect the Environment From Senseless Pollution such as Oil spills and things of that nature But I am a car nut and I REFUSE to give up My gas guzzler Simply because it don't get better than 10mpg My f250 when It was running was getting 18-22mpg because of the 38inch tires and 3.55 gears coupled to the ZF S5-42 Manual trans

THREAD JACK SECTION

As far as the Economy goes Most of the Problems with this country can be Directly Blamed on our "Corrupt" Government and the Fact that they have OVER-Regulated Virtually every aspect of Manufacturing out of this Once great and Powerful Nation(I say it this way cuz its going Down hill FAST)

No big deal here. You seem to have an appreciation for what I believe in and definitely are doing more than just complaining about it. I was not referring to having a 10mpg vehicle, just to clarify. The US Military uses something like 600,000 gallons of fuel daily and they are second to the shipping industry. If we bought stuff made here and eliminated the need for over seas shipping, we would have a 600,000+ gallon surplus of fuel EVERY DAY. I commend you in your effort to help our great country.:angel:

Knight_3000

Reaction score

THREAD JACK SECTION

As far as the Economy goes Most of the Problems with this country can be Directly Blamed on our "Corrupt" Government and the Fact that they have OVER-Regulated Virtually every aspect of Manufacturing out of this Once great and Powerful Nation(I say it this way cuz its going Down hill FAST)

No big deal here. You seem to have an appreciation for what I believe in and definitely are doing more than just complaining about it. I was not referring to having a 10mpg vehicle, just to clarify. The US Military uses something like 600,000 gallons of fuel daily and they are second to the shipping industry. If we bought stuff made here and eliminated the need for over seas shipping, we would have a 600,000+ gallon surplus of fuel EVERY DAY. I commend you in your effort to help our great country.:angel:

Thank You... I get tired Of Bein Called Racist Or Bigot Or Ignorant Simply Because I can't Stand Our Presidents* Vision for America, And Instead I want to see this Nation Restored to Its Constitutional Roots

* there Is still after 2 years ????'s about his eligibility

On another Note I am still wondering about doin that gearset and am Curious if the D44HD or the D50 Carrier and Pinion will fit into the D60

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
On another Note I am still wondering about doin that gearset and am Curious if the D44HD or the D50 Carrier and Pinion will fit into the D60

All gear diameters are different sizes. Try looking at places the set sell gear sets online. I think that a 44 is like 8.25", a 50 is 8.5", and a 60 is 9.75".

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You... I get tired Of Bein Called Racist Or Bigot Or Ignorant Simply Because I can't Stand Our Presidents* Vision for America, And Instead I want to see this Nation Restored to Its Constitutional Roots

* there Is still after 2 years ????'s about his eligibility

Ron paul was my choice.

Knight_3000

Reaction score
Ill tell Ya the 2014 Pres race I bet will come down to Either Ron Paul or Sarah Palin It is Also My Intention (If I can get some Recognition) to actually Run for Pres or vice pres In 2016 (I become Eligible under the Age Clause of the Constitution in 2015)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To keep this on topic....Goose, I can't remember did you decide if you were sleeving this block or fixing the donor...or shopping for a 6.9? I'd halfway tell you to sleeve that one hole and maybe the others most prone to the Big C, but it's so easy to screw up dry sleeves, it would bother me a lot.... now if you happen to know a guy that has done lots of cavitated 7.3s or worn out 3208s.......and won't charge you your first born the calculus changes a bit.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I've got a HF compression tester, but it 's got the adapter for the diesel. You can use 1/8" pipe that will thread into the GP's and make adaption from there. Get a long, like a 6" nipple.

See my avatar, that's how I work on them, and I'm 81. Was just installing an engine in the 92 IDI.
You must be registered for see images
Home made top side creeper mounted on the engine hoist, makes it so much easier working on them, no cracked ribs or hood latch stabs in the guts.

I like that idea with the engine lift!!!!!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
To keep this on topic....Goose, I can't remember did you decide if you were sleeving this block or fixing the donor...or shopping for a 6.9? I'd halfway tell you to sleeve that one hole and maybe the others most prone to the Big C, but it's so easy to screw up dry sleeves, it would bother me a lot.... now if you happen to know a guy that has done lots of cavitated 7.3s or worn out 3208s.......and won't charge you your first born the calculus changes a bit.

I'm wrenching out the spare motor today and I am going to install it with turbo to get the truck up and running asap. If the motor is clean enough, I'm not even gonna change the seals. Gonna swap out the GP's and injection system, clean it, paint it, install it. The cracked block is gonna be my new mailbox post.LOL;Sweet I will now have a slew of spare parts and will probably look for another motor to build. I am already onto 7.3 stuff so I'm on the fence as whether or not to go for the 6.9 or just have a 7.3 block magnafluxed and tanked. I believe the heads do not interchange, thats why I want to stay with the consistency of what I already have. I really do hope the crack in my cyllinder is a rarity,:eek: another one like that will have me onto the 6.9 for sure.:sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online