1999 international

Exekiel69

Reaction score
What kind of engine (diesel) comes with this year truck? there is the # 444E on the pass side of the hood, is it the same as the 7.3l psd? if no, where can I get some info about it?

This truck has very low power (222k miles) when pulling uphill so I thought it could be the injectors are worn out, is this right?

Thank You.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the 7.3 psd with a few differences like the front timing cover, ecm and injectors. Don't know what else is different but the long block is the same.

Here's some info you can dig through.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You Tonkadoctor. Is there anything one can do to get more power from this thing? Maybe something that could also go in a psd? Nothing too much but to wake it up a little bit with out killing the fuel economy.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank You Tonkadoctor.
1)Is there anything one can do to get more power from this thing?
2) Maybe something that could also go in a psd?
3) Nothing too much but to wake it up a little bit with out killing the fuel economy.
1)you can get the box reprogramed but the fuel economy or the lack of will surely go into the crapper.
2)you can use the long block in a Ford chassis. everything else will be different.
3)get used to driving a slug. Trust me on this, the DT466E is no barn burner either. Everytime it sees a hill, I have to drop at least three gears out of a spicer 7spd.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You Calvin, I know You know this beasts so I no power upgrades for it. It is very sluggish pulling a load up hill, I sure hope something could be done with out killing mpg. Maybe I can stick a C on this one to :angel:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta agree with TC. If you think about it, even reflashed to some of the highest settings, you're still looking at HP & TQ numbers that are comparable to what is run in a pickup........ in a much larger package.

IMHO better off shooting for reliability and longevity here, you know as well as anybody else here that PSD stuff ain't cheap when it breaks. And downtime is money lost in business too.

Good news is you prolly ain't got enough power to break the rest of the truckLOL :angel:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
LOL You have that right.
The engine has already 222k miles so I'll just wait till it blows some day and see if it is worth swapping a cummins in it, I know a good shop that sales the specific kits and they have good feedback for their reliability so maybe it could happen. Don't need a beast I'm not in search for the highest hp but I know the other engine offers both reliability and just a bit more power.

Thank You guys, I just can't come with a question You don't know about. Always grateful :hail

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The T444E usually didnt get high hp ratings in the first place. Dont be surprised if it's around 195hp, but it'll say on the valve cover(emission sticker). A DT466 or 530 will be the easiest swap, because it can be done with all factory parts. If it's a DT466 or 530E, then you are a little limited on how much power it can make.