1998 F800 drivetrain into 1993 F-350

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
I have 1998 5.9 12V Cummins and 6speed Allison auto from an F-800 I was thinking of swapping into my 1993 F-350 crew cab dually. It originally had a 7.3 idi. Anybody try this before? I have some ideas of adding a divorced transfer case and Dana 60 front axle in the future as well.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Many many many many many many people have done that.
Except the Allison part. But it can be done also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
I know the 12V swap is nothing new...hell there are entire companies who make a living off of it. I am looking more for anyone who has put the 5.9 AND Allison 6 speed from a Medium Duty truck into their pick-up and what kind of issues they ran into....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. I don't think anyone here has.
But via a quick Google search, I saw people who have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
"Subway" is doing a DT360 and a medium duty 5 speed into his. Oughta be at least similar dimensions to yours with an inline 6er and an SAE bell housing and medium duty-sized trans. He has lots of pictures going on his work.

Dogbrain

Reaction score
I did the same thing with my truck, except I used a medium duty (f700 I think it was) with a 6 speed Eaton manual. I also used a divorced transfer case as well.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going down the same road... I have an f600 with 5.9 and 545 Allison but I want OD. The problem with the Allison MD 3060 6 speeds is that they are all computer controlled with its own computer that only Allison can program. From what I have read all those transmissions have ability to have 6 gears but only some have the programing to do so. I did some reading on some buss/RV fourms and most have not had luck getting Allison to program there computer with anything other than factory programing for there application.
My MD 3060 was behind a 7.3 powerstroke in a school bus so I will have to get the computer reprogrammed for the new engine and try to get 6th gear unlocked. The good thing is that from everything I read the only input to the trans computer is a thottle position sensor. The rest is all in the computer programming.
I think you have a better starting point since your doner engine and trans came from the same vehicle. Just make sure to get all the transmission harness and computer.

Last edited:

Dogbrain

Reaction score
I used my divorced transfer case to get overdrive. I used a case out of a road crane and ran the power through it backwards.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used my divorced transfer case to get overdrive. I used a case out of a road crane and ran the power through it backwards.
I always wondered about that. I guess with a real gear case you can get away with spinning it backwards. I guess it shouldn't care.

Dogbrain

Reaction score
Yes, it worked. Don't think I would do it that way again though, I had to fab a ton of stuff to make it work. Also that heavy of a transmission and transfer case are never going to be used to capacity in a pickup. When I do my next Cummins swap I am going to use a transmission and case out of a pickup.

Dogbrain

Reaction score
Yep, had to delete front fuel tank to make room for it. I put a bronco tank in the rear to make up for it. Good part about it is I know ford trucks really well now. Had every bolt out of that truck at least twice.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, had to delete front fuel tank to make room for it. I put a bronco tank in the rear to make up for it. Good part about it is I know ford trucks really well now. Had every bolt out of that truck at least twice.

I feel you there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7