1997 PSD Awful Gas Mileage

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I've installed new tires, rebuilt my Dana 50, put on a new oil cooler, and flushed my cooling system completely, but recently I've noticed my fuel Milage has gone down very considerably. To the point where I'm using almost half the real tank to get to work and back! I don't know what it is. And I'll get some actual numbers within the next two days, but I just want to know where to start. Also there seems to be a considerable amount of smoke coming out of my valve cover oil fill. But it doesn't have too much force to it which confused me. Any help would be apprecisted. Thanks guise

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
2 tanks?
Valve might be sticking, pulling from one tank and returning to the other.
Ebpv might be sticking closed also.
Look up how to clean the ebp tube. It's pretty easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe cuz your feeding it GAS?
Mileage
Oil pump
Puter
Electromic junk
???!!!

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I cleaned the EBP tube pretty recently, could it be the sensor? Any way to check? Also I have a leak of oil off my pedestal so maybe that could have something to do with it? I honestly have no idea where to start looking. Also I only run off the rear tank, front one isn't in the truck right now so it's not crossing over. Just changed the oil, and it's all topped off.... (And no she hasn't been eating gas...)

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaking fuel pump ? Look if it sprays out of the weep hole.
Did you adjust the rear brakes, maybe they are too tight?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just changed the oil, so that should help, dirty oil does decrease the MPG. Since your in FL, you don't need using a full synthetic, but a blend is good for these PSD's, 10W30 would be good for winter down there.

Check the tin nut on the IPR, they do come loose, check the wire connection on the ICP, if any oil is present on the wires it will soon be defective.

Check the filter drain valve, those o'rings will start to leak, cut's down on MPG. Look for a puddle/spot of fuel under.

Other than using a AE to monitor injection pressure and fuel pressure, hard to tell what's causing the decrease in MPG.