1997 F250 7.3 IDI questions

powerjoker

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen!
This is my first post, so I want to say thank you in advance!

I recently purchased a 1997 Ford F-250. I believe the truck was initially a gas powered because On the regi it's listed as a v8 gas. Now, step it up a little and it has the 7.3L IDI TURBO engine (on the pass side valve cover there's an ID plate).

I'm pretty sure that the IDI wasn't available in 1997, but uncertain.

The vehicle and engine have 165k on it, as far as I know, and I was concerned with things that I needs to look out for, what I need to take care of, and any tips or tricks you gentlemen (or ladies!) might have to assist me in making this ol girl last as long as possible!

I plan on driving like a grandma, just to keep it in decent shape.

I noticed two things with this motor, it has a minor oil leak (Oil dipstick and tube are missing) and that the thing starts cold like a bear, but it goes! There is a fuel leak that to my understanding is the fuel pressure relief valve on the top of the fuel bowl. Thoughts? Comments? I will assist you as much as I can!

Thanks!

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey welcome to the site, i have the same set up only mine is a 1997 f350 with a non turbo 7.3, no the idi was not available in the 1997, the last year was mid way 1994 for the idi, after that it was the powerstroke, i would definitely get the oil dip sitck in it so you can keep an eye on the oil level, they do burn oil, i would also fix the fuel leak, i know diesel fuel doesn't ignite like gasoline but it is fuel and is flammable so i would fix that, and not to sure what you mean by starting like a bear im assuming you mean doesn't like to start in the cold, i would check the glow plugs and the controller, i have 255,000 miles on mine and no issues it runs great (knock on wood) im sure there will be more on here to help with the maintenance for you, im still learning myself, you will get all the info you need for an idi on here

powerjoker

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! The vehicle is one interesting beast. I bought it off of a good ol buy from about an hour away for 2800 dollars. Lifted 3 inches on Cooper Discoverer 35's.

Where exactly would the glow plug controller be located? I know of the loose connections for the injector harness in the valve cover, but I can't quite pinpoint the location of the glow plug controller.

As for starting like a bear, it cranks but takes a bit to turn over. It then runs like crud for a few seconds to a minute and evens itself out just fine.

I have an IH dealer about 30 miles away I was going to go to get the dipstick. I was going to set it up and rtv the seal instead of going through the hassle of dropping the pan and all.

Thank you for the welcome!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good picture of the controller. It will be in a different location on your engine most likely, this engine has a banks turbo setup, not a factory turbo. Look on the left of the picture where all those wires go in that covered box thing. That is a good look at a glow plug controller.

You must be registered for see images attach

With the way the truck runs after it starts, I would bet you have air getting in the fuel return line system.

Have a read here about the fuel injection system on your idi.
http://oilburners.net/brian/idi/FuelInjectionServicing.htm

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! The vehicle is one interesting beast. I bought it off of a good ol buy from about an hour away for 2800 dollars. Lifted 3 inches on Cooper Discoverer 35's.

Where exactly would the glow plug controller be located? I know of the loose connections for the injector harness in the valve cover, but I can't quite pinpoint the location of the glow plug controller.

As for starting like a bear, it cranks but takes a bit to turn over. It then runs like crud for a few seconds to a minute and evens itself out just fine.

I have an IH dealer about 30 miles away I was going to go to get the dipstick. I was going to set it up and rtv the seal instead of going through the hassle of dropping the pan and all.

Thank you for the welcome!

haha thats funny i have a 3 inch lift with 35s on mine, well its more of a leveling kit, lets see some pics of yours if you can get them on here and for the slow cranking might want to check your batteries, i have started mine on just glow plugs down to 10 degrees so far, had to cycle them three times but it started inless than 15 seconds, i had to replace al my glow plugs though so they are all brand new and i did the controller just so i knew it was new

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. So your engine cranks slowly?? At least thats what I gather from your posting. then it takes off and finally starts. Sounds like a bad starter or ditry cables. The pic offered shows a very good picture of the turbo flange to a Banks turbo. Thats how the Banks kit relocates the glow plug controller but your turbo engine may have it placed on the drivers side valve cover. The fuel leak your talking bout being the pressure relief valve on top of the filter head is not that. Only thing on top is the fuel filter heater electrical connection. That has an o ring thats is a common leak area. International has the o ring but many just remove the heater and plug the opening. Its believed the heater does nothing for the fuel system but cause a leak. Fixing it will be simple and your choice of how.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1997 Ford F-250. I believe the truck was initially a gas powered because On the regi it's listed as a v8 gas. Now, step it up a little and it has the 7.3L IDI TURBO engine (on the pass side valve cover there's an ID plate).
Your post is a little confusing.
It could be your registration (V8 Gas) is a misprint. A 97 turbo should be a PSD.

There is a fuel leak that to my understanding is the fuel pressure relief valve on the top of the fuel bowl. Thoughts? Comments? I will assist you as much as I can!
Yes, there is a fuel pressure relief on the "fuel bowl" on a PSD.

I noticed two things with this motor, it has a minor oil leak (Oil dipstick and tube are missing)

If it is truely a PSD. You have to remove the pan to replace the dip stick tube, it is fastened from the inside. An IDI dip stick would be the wrong one.

Now, step it up a little and it has the 7.3L IDI TURBO engine (on the pass side valve cover there's an ID plate).

The PSD's do have the ID lable on the Pass side. If you can take a pic of the engine and post it, we can attest to what you have.

There is no harness to the injectors on an IDI. Yes there is a UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness) on a PSD.
Does you engine look anything like this Pic.

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 51

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Great information Bill on the psd engine and pic. Hopefully we can help this new member with this truck be it an idi or a psd. I'm thinking its a gas built truck that got an idi transplant but we will wait and see.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect its a gas truck with a PS conversion myself Gary...by the sounds of things...

Gotta wait n see on pic of engine!

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm betting its got a psd from the factory. When they change hands the dmv just automatically registers them as gas engines, they tried to do it with both my 97 and 84 before I corrected them. If thats the case you probably got a smoking deal on it, if its got 165k miles, a psd and is in decent shape for 2800 with a lift and 35's. Ya might have got real lucky if it is in fact a psd, good buy!

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck was a gas 1997 f350 and was swapped to a 7.3 idi, gas engine blew up, why not swap in a cheaper and more reliable engine than a powerstroke, seems logical to me, maybe the previous owner was an idi fan as well as us? from the sounds of it that is what i am thinking, he got lucky and got a turbo though

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We know he lives in the United States, that's in his profile, but what State. All States have different Registrations. He wants his truck fixed, just have to know what the H*ll it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel