1997 7.3 thermostat or? Coolant leak

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i parked my truck the other night after driving it for a few hours etc etc. The next morning when i went out i noticed a small puddle of coolant in a drip line directly in front of the front most part of the oil pan by the balancer. Tracing the coolant is a little tuff but, it appears that it is coming from the thermostat housing area...there is no massive amounts of leaking apparent, only a small bit of coolant on top of the outlet housing hose thing with three bolts.

Funny thing is it doesn't leak while running? I don't think that there is any other source of coolant in that region besides that is there?

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you shut the engine off the coolant pressure increases for awhile until cool down due to no coolant circulation. If it has the spring type clamp, that may be the problem. Replace it with a gear clamp, but you have to drain some coolant out and save it, then put it back in.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"If it has the spring type clamp, that may be the problem. Replace it with a gear clamp, but you have to drain some coolant out and save it, then put it back in."

i assume your talking about the hose clamps?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
"If it has the spring type clamp, that may be the problem. Replace it with a gear clamp, but you have to drain some coolant out and save it, then put it back in."

i assume your talking about the hose clamps?

Yes. The factory clamps are known to break with age. If you still have that set up. Get a new hose. Its tired.

Another part to check is the tstat housing. The O ring can fail with age.

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was leaking at the front as well. Was going to accumulate the parts and do the whole system but decided to just get it all done anyways. No more leaks. New pump, serp belt, idler pulleys, clamps makes a huge difference in piece of mind. ;Sweet