1994 f350 7.3 idi turbo??

boliIDI1010

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am new to the diesel world, so I am looking for any input you can give me. I am looking at buying a 1994 f350 with the 7.3 idi turbo diesel. It has 240k miles with the zf manual trans. Its in pretty good condition. Any feed back would be appreciated. Tips, longevity of this motor? turbo reliablilty. Anything I should look for when I go to look at the truck. Should I be scared of the 240k miles or is that nothing for this motor.
Any help would be great
thanks

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its an 1994 idi turbo 5 speed? Im pretty sure they only came with autos in 1994, the 5 speeds were all powerstrokes that year. It could always be a swap though

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 94 IDIT 4x4 with factory ZF5......just sayin.

240k is not much. I'm at 220 and it still pulls strong. Besides the usual used auto things your looking for a cold start (not prewarmed for you). Glow plugs light should come on for 9ish seconds and it should start pretty well instantly even if sitting for days/weeks. Should start/run clean out the exhaust, maybe a little puff.

I'm sure the big guns will chime in soon.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
In 94, the IDI could have come with either. But if it's an auto, its guaranteed to be an IDI. The Powerstrokes are the ones that only came with one option, and that was a ZF. But an IDI could have come with a ZF too.

woody5484

Reaction score
I was in your very same position not three months ago, bought a 94 crew cab. For what its worth I paid 5000 and was happy to do it, thought I think I could have gotten it for less. As stated previously look for smoke on start up, a cold start up. I found various fuel leaks on the top of my motor, think this is fairly common with these trucks the older they get. Check fluids, make sure they are up to capacity or close, and the right color. Im sure theres more but thats a start.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. A question to ask is what kind of flywheel does it have. Usually by that mileage the clutch ahs worn out. Not many dual mass flywheels are much good too. So find out if it has a dual or single mass flywheel. That means is there two or one flywheel in the clutch. Look for rust up under the fenders too. Sometimes the clutch peddle wears out the mounting bracket really bad. Then the peddle pushes very hard. A cold start is what you really want to whitness. Cold starts are telling you plenty. It will tell you if there is a long crank to get fuel to the injection pump because theres a leak and it drains back. Also it tells you the glow plugs are in working order too. Like posted. The lite stays on for around 9 seconds. Ask if the truck runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank. That tells us the suction pickups have broken off in the tanks and the last 1/4 tank can't be sucked up. Not a bad job to fix either. Simple fix is never allow the level to get to 1/4 tank... Hope other big guns chime in on this.

boliIDI1010

Reaction score
The guy is asking $5000, but it has a 8' plow. He recently replaced the clutch and flywheel, master and slave cylinder also.

Reaction score
Vehicle price is ENTIRELY too geography-dependent for us to be of much help to you. One man's 'rip-off' is another man's 'deal of the century' depending on where you are located. Best advice on price is to keep an eye on sites like CL and get a feel for what the going rate is like in your area.

Mike

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one for sale at it is a 1994 idi 4x4 CrewCab with the zf-5 and the main thing about these trucks is the cost of repair. Injectors are much cheaper for an example and not to hard to change out yourself. You can get lots of parts from International versus Ford which really helps. Lots of School buses used these motors so you can get big parts from them. I bought glow plugs from international at a much better price than at Ford. The engines last a long time, I mistakenly bought a truck because I thought my motor was bad. It turned out to be oil in the coolant that was caused by O-rings in the oil cooler that were cracked. The best part is the manuel truck does not have a computer to worry about. FYI, ford has stopped supporting these trucks, so if it is a dealer only part, they might not have it.

5,000 is high unless the truck is in Great condition. Why buy a Truck for 2,500 and then have to spend 3,000 for paint, and other items, So if the truck looks like it came out of the factory then 5,000 is a good price.

FYI, the main killer of these engines is cavitation, check for that.

boliIDI1010

Reaction score
Hey FoMoCo,
Can I ask how much you are asking for your truck? how many miles does yours have? can you post a pic or 2 of your truck?
thanks

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it on e-bay currently and I don't know what there policy is in regards to selling it by other means. All the specs are on e-bay along with pics. Mine is the Teal color one that is lifted. I think this is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true

The current price is above the reserve which is 3,650 but that could go up any time.

Mine has some MODS, but it needs some tuning since I just installed injectors and had the injection pump rebuilt. The timing is higher than it was and I might lower it and I still need to adjust the waste gate and other stuff. It runs good, I just need to install a new boost gauge since you have to tap it to make it work (been like that for a few years).

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way way to high. i wouldn't pay north of $2k.
how can you say that? you have not even seen the truck.cookoo

The guy is asking $5000, but it has a 8' plow. He recently replaced the clutch and flywheel, master and slave cylinder also.

It may be high, it might be fair depends on condition of the rest of the truck and prices in your area. in my area anything diesel doesnt matter how beat or how many miles brings a premium. shoot i see dodges with 400k miles and barely hanging together for $10k. but if you go 4 hours north or south (San Fran or LA) prices drop alot. i overpaid for mine, because i honestly didnt know what theses trucks were worth vs a Powerstroke. oh well I am happy with my truck and it has given me pretty much 20000 miles of trouble free service. just do your research on here so you know what to look for. the fact section is a great help. big thing is cavitation, so check for scas in the coolant. other than that hope you find a good truck;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger