1992 7.3

chadh

Reaction score
Hello All

This is my first post so go easy on me. I am a chevy guy that just bought a ford dually, it's a 92 and the box is rusted pretty bad. What I need to know if a box off a 85 will bolt on to my 92.

Thanks

Chad

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Yes but the number of bolts are different, but thats no biggy

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome the the forum. You can find anything you need about these trucks here and its free just for the asking. Rust is a problem but it can be handled too. Once it starts its very difficult to stop. Hang around for a while and others will be along to advise you on how to save what you have or replace it like you posted... We welcome even chevy guys here... I'm really a chevy guy under the skin... I've had my 79 C30 camper special for about 27 years now.. Love that rig....:sly

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Pretty sure. The fender shape is slightly differeent but that might be ok if the bed is reallky rusty. Sorry foe bad typing I'm on a stupid I pod lol

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes. It is a direct bolt on. Uses the 6 same bolts.The factory carrage bolts like to spin in the bed when trying to take the nuts off. Just weld nuts to the head of the carrage bolts so you have something to hold onto while loosening the nuts from underneith.

The plug for the taillight harness is different though, I would just use your 92 harness, from your 92 bed.

Dont try and use the 92 tailgate on the 85 bed though. The latch points are completly different

chadh

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I found a bed off a 1985 Arizona truck that I can get for next to nothing but it isnt a dually. I am an expierenced welder and it doesnt look to be to hard to put the flares on this box. Am I missing something? Did Ford change the boxes like chevy so everyone had to buy a different topper? I can deal with the body lines not being correct but I have a topper for the 92 that I still want to use.

Thanks again
Chad

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I found a bed off a 1985 Arizona truck that I can get for next to nothing but it isnt a dually. I am an expierenced welder and it doesnt look to be to hard to put the flares on this box. Am I missing something? Did Ford change the boxes like chevy so everyone had to buy a different topper? I can deal with the body lines not being correct but I have a topper for the 92 that I still want to use.

Thanks again
Chad
there's minor fitment issues between the chev vs. ford topper but not to the point it looks obvious or it won't fit.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The dually flares are fiberglass I'm pretty sure, so putting them on might take some
fiberglass work.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Thanks again
Chad

Adding factory dually flairs is quite a task on a nON dually bed. They dont just bolt. The bedside is made to accept the dually fenders.

As for the cap. 80-97 beds are the same inner structure so a cap off of a 92 fits a 85 fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online