1989 F350 Starting Running Problems. . . HELP

FordGolfer7

Reaction score
I purchased this truck new, first new one for me. It has 120,000 +/- miles on it. The problem started several weeks ago in this fashion; I drove it approximately 4 miles, shut it off for about 15 minutes, started it up and drove about 10 feet. It died and then would not start. I hauled it home and tried to start it the next day, no problem, I then drove it two or three times, several miles with long stops, no problem. thought the one start was just a fluke. Not so, I drove it maybe 1/2 mile, shut it off for about 20 minutes, started it up and made about 10 feet. Towed it home and was able to start it the next day. I am a novice in the diesel repair field so I questioned everyone I knew with a diesel and decided to replace the injection pump and injectors. I had the pump rebuilt in Phoenix and purchased new injectors. It is now extremely difficult to start and smokes like a fully loaded freight train at both idle and full throttle. Can anyone direct me in what to start looking for to fix this problem. I have purchased a timing meter that should be here this week. I did not remove the injection pump drive gear or its housing. I removed the cover plate on the drive gear housing and the injection pump.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like extremely retarded timing, or an incorrectly rebuilt pump. Do you have any knocks? If you do then you likely have an injector hanging open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online