1989 7.3 IDI New Truck

ChikhaiBardo

Reaction score
I bought my first 7.3 IDI F250 1989 and so far I am very happy with my purchase. I have only had it a few days but here are some problems I have noticed so far;

1 - The glow plug system is not working. No glow plug activation, no WTS light on dash. I have new glow plugs and and a new controller (timer and relay package) on its way. This one seems easy, but tips are appreciated if there are specific things I need to look for after replacement.

2 - Cruise Control is not working. This is one I could use some advice on. I have owned two F150 I-6 for the last 10 years and before that was a 7.3 Powerstroke. This is my first truck with cruise control in a long time so maybe you guys could give me some advice where to start looking if it's not a fuse. I haven't even looked in the book or gone through my fuses yet.

3 - The dash volt meter (8-18 volts) only reads about a quarter of the way even though batteries are fully charged; confirmed with an overnight trickle charge and a Fluke multimeter on the terminals. Someone told me that the volt meter on the dash should be straight down while driving, which I assume is 12-13.5 volts. Do these dash voltmeter fail or could it be a corroded cable leading to the dash meter? The batteries and cables are "new" within last year.

4 - I noticed it took a while to start, but no more than 30 seconds when I first got it, although the fuel level was low. I filled it up and it turned over immediately after being warm with multiple stops that day. It takes around 10-15 seconds to turn over when cold now, which I assume is due to the glow plug system being out of commission. I am looking at the DB Electric starters to keep in the truck as a backup. This has a NAPA Reman on it now and it's coming close to a year since it was installed. I see two options on Amazon for DB electric. The fully exposed gear and the half cut cone head style, which I assume is for wet locations. Which is recommended for our 7.3 IDI? Both are same price on Amazon and listed as compatible.

5 - My shift points are at 3k RPM unless I let off the pedal around 2k 2.5k it will shift. Is this normal? This does not have the Overdrive switch on the dash so what transmission do I have?

That is all I can think of for now. I know this is a long post with a lot of basic questions in it, but I am new to the 7.3 IDI and I haven't owned a diesel in over 10 years and that was a 7.3 PStroke. I'm also new to this forum and heard this was the place to be if I owned an IDI, so hello and thank you to everyone who helps out around here. I plan on being a contributing member for as long as I own my truck which is hopefully the rest of my life because it only has 178k original miles on it.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome

Read the stickis tons of info there.

Hopefully u bought BERU glow plugs...if not get beru and toss or return the ones you did get.

Sounds like gp issue is starting issue...wait n see one parts replaced.

There are plenty here who can help w auto trams advice..I am NOT one of them...

Volt meter is kinda sorta maybe vague in its presemtation...mine is similar LOL

There are plenty of threads on starters including a mystical 4 kw model that works on our trucks

Good luck and welcome

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the cruise control. Make sure the vacuum lines are hooked up.

There is a round thing on the passenger side fender the size of a tuna can that has three wires and a vacuum line going into it. Make sure that is all there. Apparently from what I've heard if that isn't working properly your cruise won't either.

I haven't had time to figure mine out yet, but I have a bad vacuum leak to deal with first anyway.

This link may be helpful in your diagnosis.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speed-control1.html

ChikhaiBardo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I thought the Beru were the spade style for the 6.9L? I bought Motorcraft ZD-9.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Beru and Motorcraft are the same. They made glow plugs for both engines. If you don't have the overdrive button, then you have the three speed C-6. I think that 89 was about the last year for them. You should have a vacuum "switch" (I can't remember what they're called) on the driver's side of the injector pump. It should be held on by two phillips head screws. You can loosen them slightly and move the switch forward and backward to adjust shift points. No 3000 rpm is not the normal shift point. Maybe only under WOT. There's probably a better way to adjust the shift points than trial and error, but I don't know what it would be.

ChikhaiBardo

Reaction score
Thanks a lot IDIBRONCO. I will look into it. OK so at least I did right in the Glow Plug department.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're welcome. We're here to help. So what do you run for fuel in the winter time? I seem to recall a story or two in Four Wheeler magazine from the late eighties or early nineties of some people building an IDI for use in the Arctic. I think they said that they got a specially made injector pump from Stanadyne with hardened internals so they could run jet fuel. I'm just curious. Sorry if I'm wrong. I wasn't 20 yet and not very mechanically inclined. I may not be remembering right.

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
You should have a vacuum "switch" (I can't remember what they're called) on the driver's side of the injector pump. It should be held on by two phillips head screws. You can loosen them slightly and move the switch forward and backward to adjust shift points.
Thanks for that info on that. I was wondering what that was and am about to put it on a new IP

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's also possible that it's bad. if you try adjusting it and it does nothing or very little, then it should be replaced too.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. We're here to help. So what do you run for fuel in the winter time?
'Winter time'. What temperature are you talking?

Down to 25F or so, they'll fire right up no problems at all, even on summer fuel.
Below that, you need winter blend fuel. As long as you drive it regularly you'll be fine - all the stations switch to winter blend fuel when the temps get cold.
The problem is simply that the summer fuel(#2) starts to gel at 20F or so, which is why they blend #1 into it to reduce that temp.
Also, if you can, plug in your block heater if it's getting really cold - Not only is it easier on the engine(oil flowing easier etc), but it'll keep the fuel in the filter warm, so even with summer fuel you'll be fine.

Where I am, I drive my IDIs all year round, and haven't had any problems over the past few years other than once having my starter "freeze" - it literally wouldn't engage until I took a torch to heat it up a bit, then it fired right up.
Temps where I am rarely get below 20F, though I've seen 10 or 5 for a couple days.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep plugged in on colder nights around 40' or cooler. I have started unplugged at -2f before(doesn't like it much) I always use diesel kleen fuel treatment it's help and a lot with starting and normal running. They do have a winter fuel treatment as well if your worried about having winter fuel

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Kleen white bottle, good quality fuel, well maintained GP system, plug in when possible below aprx. 20F, and you're good to go for winter.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
To all. I understand what you're saying, but the OP is from Alaska. I don't usually run any additives at all. The coldest I've run mine was -4. It was plugged in to start. The only time I've had any problems was last December 17. It was in the low single digits with 25-30 mph north winds. I had no troubles going up to Kearney, NE which is about 1 1/2 hours north. The trouble I had was when I went into a store for about 30 minutes and then went into Wal-Mart for about 20 minutes. I wanted to let the engine run, but the whole parking lot is on a big slope. I don't know if my parking brake works or not so I shut it off. It took a couple of minutes to start acting up when I was leaving. I was lucky to not be out of the parking lot yet. I went back inside and bought a quart of ATF and a bottle of Diesel 911. I put half of the Diesel 911 in the tank and filled the filter with the ATF. It took three more times of filling the filter to finally get the fuel circulated enough to keep it running. By that time, I was behind Wal-mart with the truck parked behind a dumpster to try to keep the wind off of it. I let it run for 30 minutes to make sure that it wasn't going to act up again. I had to keep it running because I was afraid that if the engine cooled down, it wouldn't start again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online