1988 F250 Craigslist Find

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
How's about a pic of the engine compartment. That will be the tell all at transmission option.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought 89 was the first year for the e40d. I would guess this thing is a c6. 3.55 gears would be the gears of choice with no OD. And you could run taller rear tires also to help top speed.

Nice looking truck.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer! It does have AC, but isn't working, I am not surprised. The real bummer is that it's the C6, no overdrive.

With fuel prices these days I would really like the mpg benefit of the overdrive. Also being able to keep up on the highway is a plus. Doing all the research on this vehicle, I've really come to admire these 6.9 and 7.3 IDI's. I'm really hoping I may be able to find another in my area.

Reaction score
So I'm a little late to the party, but as far as how accurate 81k miles is, check the pedals. If it's really 81k the pedal pads won't show much wear. 181K + the pedal pads will be smooth, or the edge worn off, etc. Seat are less likely to be all chafed and broken in on a low mileage truck. Arm rest won't be worn smooth and shiny. Stuff like that will give you an idea if it's really a low mileage truck.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 8973, good idea on the pedals. Very practical way of judging the mileage claims.

Right now that C6 is really holding me back though, it looks like my evening will be spent researching E4OD swaps. Might also spend some time looking into Manual transmissions.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The swap is not to bad. But if spending that kinda money why not just put Gear vendors on it. That would probley cost the same but it would take alot less time. If the truck is truly solid I would buy it and put gv on it. Darrin has that on his truck and says works well. Also my dad had them on a 6.9 motor home loved it.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Oh definitely. Probably lower RPM's than the OD. The OD is I believe 0.76:1. The GV should drop the C6's 1:1 lower than that. And with 3:55's you'll really be low. Don't forget though that the mileage really only picks up on flat highways. The second you start going up a hill and lugging you may as well drop out of OD because the lugging will heat up the exhaust very fast and eat a lot of fuel.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. Interesting. Where I live in Michigan there isn't a whole lot of hills to speak of and if there are they don't last very long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online