1988 F250 Craigslist Find

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1989 F250 Craigslist Find

Hey Guys,

I found a 1989 F250 on craigslist, with a 7.3 in it.

Upon finding it I started doing research and stumbled across this forum and proceeded to read thread after thread, to come to the conclusion that this truck may be a pretty good buy. You guys seem to be very knowledgeable about these trucks and i came upon a wealth of information here. I enjoy reading just about anything about cars thats written by people that know their stuff. And you guys sure seem to know these IDI diesels here.

I believe its a 2WD, 7.3, extended cab with 81,000 miles on it. It is a rust free truck from Montana. They are asking $3000.

The guy has the following to say about it:

"I am posting this for a neighbor, he is in his 80's. this is his summer home and he has owned the truck 10 years. It just sat here he used it to put his boat in and out. Never been driven in michigan winter. He bought truck from his son in montana, who owned it since 1990. I can't prove it, but I think it is correct at 81000, interior shows wear, body has little or no rust, some dents, runns great. You can tell it's been sitting, needs a good clean up. I think it's a good truck for the money he's asking."

What do you guys think? If it is in the condition it is claimed to be, this could be worth well over $3000 i would think. I've been lurking my local craigslist for some time now and this one really seems to stand out. The only drawback is no 4x4, which I am not too concerned with, it would NOT be my daily driver.

EDIT: Title says 1988, but its a 1989!

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good deal, unfortunately, these trucks will not roll over on the odometer, so it could be 81,000, 181,000 or 281,000 if you get my drift. You can also always convert to 4WD if you wanted to.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I saw the odometer in a picture. so I am not sure on taht either.

I suppose there is some signs I could look for? Like parts that would definitely have been replaced at 181000, but probably not at 81000?

I read on here parts of the fuel system need maintenance at around 100,000. Would this be a good give-away of its true mileage? Or would it be possible that they made it 81,000 on original equipment?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
One thing to look for are the lines between each injector. The original Ford ones will be a faded gray looking. Being a 2WD, and if it isn't documented to actually be 81K, I would probably be looking to buy it for 2500 or less. Is it an XLT Lariat with power options, cruise, etc? That also affects the value a little. If it's just an XL with vinyl floors and rollup windows, it would be worth less. Tell him to leave it bone cold for when you get there so you can see how it starts. If the glow plugs and controller are in good shape along with the Injector pump, lift pump, and injectors, it will start up pretty easy, although it might be a little hard to say right now being summer and all. These rigs always start pretty easy when it's warm outside. Pop the radiator cap and see if the fluid is green or if it has oil in it. That'll tell you if the seals on the oil cooler are good. Is it an auto or 5 speed? Check the fluid if it's an auto and see if it's a nice red or dark like motor oil. Anyway, it could be a good truck for sure. Good luck man! You came to the perfect place to learn about Ford diesels.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all the injectors and interconnecting hoses are painted gray, that is original. Do a carfax or similar car/truck check, might give you some info if your serious about buying it.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the picture is clean and appears around 81k I have a pretty good eye look at the injection pump the return lines alternator starter and blow by through the oil fill neck min smoke or none if less than 150k not always but that's what you want means less wear has takin place. As for price if it's a c6 I would say 2500 or less if zf5 2500-3000 is far. The tranny would be what would change the price you really need o/d with fuel prices now days.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I read, and what I have come up with.

It sounds like I need to ask what trim level it is, if it is 2 or 4wd (I am unsure, can you guys tell anything from the picture about trim or 2/4wd?)
I also realized I'd really like it to have AC. Should I buy it, this truck would see its heaviest use in the summer.

Also i am unsure on what tranny it is.

Silver Burner mentions it's probably worth about $2500. Do you guys agree that it is roughly in this ballpark, if the mileage claims are true?

This truck is over and hr drive away, so I should ask some good questions to see if its worth the drive.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
From the picture is clean and appears around 81k I have a pretty good eye look at the injection pump the return lines alternator starter and blow by through the oil fill neck min smoke or none if less than 150k not always but that's what you want means less wear has takin place. As for price if it's a c6 I would say 2500 or less if zf5 2500-3000 is far. The tranny would be what would change the price you really need o/d with fuel prices now days.

Being an 89, it could have an E4OD, eh?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
From what I read, and what I have come up with.

It sounds like I need to ask what trim level it is, if it is 2 or 4wd (I am unsure, can you guys tell anything from the picture about trim or 2/4wd?)
I also realized I'd really like it to have AC. Should I buy it, this truck would see its heaviest use in the summer.

Silver Burner mentions it's probably worth about $2500. Do you guys agree that it is roughly in this ballpark, if the mileage claims are true?

From the picture, it looks like a 2WD XLT Lariat. So it would have power options, cruise, and A/C. Whether or not the A/C works....just try it. :)

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being an 89, it could have an E4OD, eh?

I also thought it would have the E4OD...

I hate to point this out, but the lack of punctuation is making parts of Devon's post hard for me to understand.

From what I see:
Check injection pump and return lines (to see if original?)
Blow by through oil fill neck (check to see if oil has gotten past this point?)
Minimal/no smoke (If this is true, then the mileage claim could be true?)

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I also thought it would have the E4OD...

I hate to point this out, but the lack of punctuation is making parts of Devon's post hard for me to understand.

From what I see:
Check injection pump and return lines (to see if original?)
Blow by through oil fill neck (check to see if oil has gotten past this point?)
Minimal/no smoke (If this is true, then the mileage claim could be true?)

It could have an E4OD. I believe it could also have been optioned with a C6 though. Ford installed both depending on the order well into the 90's. Check the rear axle tag too to see if it's running 3.55 gears or 4.10 gears.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could have an E4OD. I believe it could also have been optioned with a C6 though. Ford installed both depending on the order well into the 90's. Check the rear axle tag too to see if it's running 3.55 gears or 4.10 gears.

Hmm, and the C6 wouldn't have Overdrive? I'd definitely want to get some halfway decent MPG's out of it. In which case I'd want E4OD/3.55's, correct?

I guess I'll just have to decide if its worth going to find out. What kind of trans / rear-end it has. If the AC works and see if I can spot some original parts under the hood to feel better about mileage claim. From the way the body looks it certainly could be true.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry yowen im on an i-phone and usally text posting and fingers dont really fit usally I get the wrong word a few times before. It should be a c6 I believe it was 91 that it was e40d because I was told that 90 model it was an add on option I may be wrong but I might be right. I can say alot of 89 when I bought mine were c6. I paid 2600 for mine with 190k so 2500 or less if it has c6. E40d or zf5 I would pay up to the 3,000. You need to look it over basically in person my 93 with 104,626 had nothing new the return lines, alter, everything exhaust nothing had been changed not one thing its digital od but I can still roll those back but I knew it was an true milage truck because of the fuel system and headgaskets and so on.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that truck has no miles and is not drivin but to pull out a boat it has the old A/C with R12 and probley doesnt work needs evaped and recharged with R134-A