1986 f350 6.0 powerstroke video

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two people I know who have 6.4s get worse mileage then my 20 year old 7.3. like 12 vs 15

The 6.4 reallyconfuses me. Some of them get 12 an others get low 20s. And I'm not talking about just deleted trucks.
I'd guess it just depends on how they were broke in.
Same thing with our idis. Some get really good mileage and some get **** poor mileage even if it's perfectly maintained.
I woulnd mind a delted and rebuilt 6.0 in my truck. I'd just hate the wiring. Same goes for a 6.4.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
pops has almost 90000 on his 2008 F450 with a 6.4 in it. hes he only gets 11.54 mpg, but has had NO issues at all with the motor. but also the mileage doesnt help that he has 4.33 gears in it, top speed is 86 mph. at 65 he is spinning the motor over 2500 rpm.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The 6.4 reallyconfuses me. Some of them get 12 an others get low 20s. And I'm not talking about just deleted trucks.
I'd guess it just depends on how they were broke in.
Same thing with our idis. Some get really good mileage and some get **** poor mileage even if it's perfectly maintained.
I woulnd mind a delted and rebuilt 6.0 in my truck. I'd just hate the wiring. Same goes for a 6.4.

I would love to see a 6.4 that gets 20MPG with out a delete. I have NEVER seen or heard of one getting over 13 ALL STOCK.
I am in NO WAY saying the 6.4 is a bad engine, but with the emissions stuff it kills the milage

Last edited:

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I used to work for a landscaper, we had a SD with a 6.0 and a Cab over F550 with a VT275 IH (I believe its a 6.0 with 2 cylinders missing and twin sequential turbos.)

That cab over F550 with a larger bed and a smaller engine would out run the 6.0 to about 55mph.

Someone should put that vt275 in a half ton and let er rip!

With the EGR cooler deleted and head studs the 6.0 finally turned out to be reliable for us. Of course, head gaskets/studs means cab removal.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I used to work for a landscaper, we had a SD with a 6.0 and a Cab over F550 with a VT275 IH (I believe its a 6.0 with 2 cylinders missing and twin sequential turbos.)

That cab over F550 with a larger bed and a smaller engine would out run the 6.0 to about 55mph.

Someone should put that vt275 in a half ton and let er rip!

With the EGR cooler deleted and head studs the 6.0 finally turned out to be reliable for us. Of course, head gaskets/studs means cab removal.

Those engines do Run well. We had one in a LCF ford w 18" box and loaded, grossing 14k it hauled ass. I could only imagine what it would do in a 6-7k pickup;Sweet

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NTOLERANCE;636350 a VT275 IH (I believe its a 6.0 with 2 cylinders missing and twin sequential turbos.) Someone should put that vt275 in a half ton and let er rip! :thumbsup: [/QUOTE said:
NO! FREAKIN'! SHEESH!!! :yell:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The VT275 is indeed a 6.0 that is missing 2 cylinders.

Sadly they no longer make them. One in a half ton would be cool!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 86 with the 6.0 is cooler than the underside of a pillow. It's too easy to drop the dreaded Cummins in one of these trucks. Going the 6.0 route is definitely unique, regardless if you like the 6.0 or not.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets see besides EGR coolers, the CCV alowing the engine to suck oil in plugging the IC, the intake getting pluged with carbon, broken valvetrain componants, plugged DOCs and DPFs, issues in the fule system causing the injectors to blow a whole in pistons and the incredible PITA they are to work on I guess there good engines.

EGR on a engine with soot in the exhaust is just stupid getting read of that will aliviate alot of the problems with the newer engines. And I also wounder if the emisions requirments on newer vehicles are worth it just think how many more toxens are released producing all the extra part and all the replacements I doubt it's helping the inviroment.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets see besides EGR coolers, the CCV alowing the engine to suck oil in plugging the IC, the intake getting pluged with carbon, broken valvetrain componants, plugged DOCs and DPFs, issues in the fule system causing the injectors to blow a whole in pistons and the incredible PITA they are to work on I guess there good engines.

EGR on a engine with soot in the exhaust is just stupid getting read of that will aliviate alot of the problems with the newer engines. And I also wounder if the emisions requirments on newer vehicles are worth it just think how many more toxens are released producing all the extra part and all the replacements I doubt it's helping the inviroment.
So...what's your point?