1986 F250 SC LB

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so IM going to pick it up today... guy is only asking 650... body is in good shape with 0 rust. he says he replaced the injection pump, injectors, glow plugs, and injector lines. he said it is REALLY tough to start... but he can bump start it if necessary... does this just sound like the ip is out of timing... he replaced the ip because the truck has close to 200k on it and started losing power and getting harder to start... basically IM asking good deal or pass it up?

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a good deal - especially iif it doesn't blow smoke.
First thing to check is there fuel at the fuel filter ? It could be just that the fuel lift pump is not working properly.
Change the fuel filter for a new one.
In California you probably don't need the glow plug working, but it would be good to have them working properly. Check for proper glow plug operation.
Don't forget to pay attention to the starter operation. Just a click indicates solenoid malfunction. Slow turning probably brusshes in the starter worn - assuming that both batteries are good.
These would be the basic things to worry about.
Have you heard it running - even if it has to be bump started.
Others will chime in I am sure !

HTH
mariner

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent yet... i mainly want it as a spare parts truck as i have an 86 EC LB... but IM going to bump start it tonight when i go to look at it... he says the fuel has been replaced along with fuel filter and fuel pump was replaced with a holley electric pump

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
id bring a heat gun if you can. helps with starting without starting fluid. its helped me get older trucks started. also if you have a mini vac with canister you can suck fuel back into the filter

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You can't go wrong at that price... Could very well be a pump timing issue that the owner just started throwing parts at in hopes of fixing it.. Kinda like what a shotgun does to the people standing in front for it. May have removed the injection pump and gear tower with the gear still attached when the pump was changed too. That right there is a big mess to fix but it can be fixed too.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys... ill be sure to get it tonight then... another question can an ip be timed on a motor not in the truck? this way i can pull the motor and bring it to the Vegas rally to get it timed :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A pump can be installed on an engine at any time be it in or out of the truck. I leave them off till the engine is bolted into the truck. That way its not going to be harmed by the chains or the lift. As for timing thats a tuff question. Install it is little more than a wag as to where it is. Get the engine to fire up. Listen to the sound.. If it sounds like a big block ford gasser even with the cold advance on then it really retarded timing. Advance it some and test again. Even a wram engine you can jumper the electrical advance in the pump with a jumper wire from the battery. If the engine is sounding like a rattleing psd then its close. If it rattles and you add the electric advance jumper and it really wakes up the neighbors then your too far advanced. Driving it to Vegas wont hurt it but fuel mileage may suffer.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to drive my ext cab 86 f250 but was planning on putting the motor out of the sc lb in the bed of my truck to get it timed

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
here is the 650 dollar beauty :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members