1986 F250 4x4 build "Sarge"

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I hauled home my new project on the weekend and started going through it tonight. It was last fired up in the spring or summer some time and had old farm summer fuel in it, little bit of playing around and with it being warm here for winter around -10 it fired right up. Sounds good running, and the clutch works good, no grinding in gears I was relieved everything was working. Now this isn't going to be a fast build, limited budget spread between two IDI builds/ford mustang build/ford meteor restoration&antique tractor restoration and even more limited on time due to same projects and the 3 trucks and one car my fiancé is building/restoring. But I will keep an up to date post on this build and try to get pictures of all the little things fixed.

The good: runs smooth, transmission & transfer case aren't leaking, no leaks on the diffs, glass is in decent shape, glow plugs work

The bad: major rust issues on cab and box, horrid hacked up "stack" that needs to be changed, motor has minor oil pan leak, glow plug controller apparently would random stop working, interior needs to be redone, no tailgate, and a lot of wiring needs to be redone, no grill

The end plan: body work to start once the snow melts sometime mid to late April, painted army green once body work is finished with everything else blacked out, 4" lift, 35-38" mud tires, new interior, building heavy built homemade bumpers, pull motor and build haven't decided if this one will get a turbo or see how far I can push the N/A, rewire entire truck, solid axel swap

Loaded up ready to come home
You must be registered for see images attach

The stack that needs to go

The pair of 86 IDI's

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a lot of really crappy roads and with no tailgate on either of my F250's the strap helps keep the totally shot box on the white truck from excessively flexing causing more damage to front box corners

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that Camo paint on the white truck.:D Sounds like you have a little work on your hands with all that restorations, hope you have an early spring.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a bit more work done on the truck last night, got rid of the jumper cable battery cables (wonderful fix by previous owner...) new cables installed made a bit longer than factory to accommodate the large commercial batteries I run :Thumbs Up and started to clean the interior. Fired the old girl up and hauled a full box load of garbage to the town dump, ran good steering was fairly tight but them tires had me worried need to get new ones on next week. Fixing my snowblower tractor tonight so I can get the old girl into the shop and start fixing the major rat nest of a wiring job and the fiancé is going to try to fix the door where it looked like someone used a pry bar to try to break in.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some time today to get some stuff done. Glow plugs aren't getting power from the signal wire, going to manual push switch. Need to get down to the farm and pull the grill, front bumper, markerlights, headlight dimmer switch (brand new before I parked it) and a few other odds and ends from my 86 F150 extended cab. Got a whole whack of wiring to go through fixing the rats nest hacked together so I can get my headlights, tail lights and two of the cab lights working. I'm going to do the alternator upgrade while I'm going through the wiring, going to be adding a lot of lights for off road, got the upgraded alternator sitting on the workbench just need to get it in. Looking at the cab a little closer discovered its going to need a lot of work, the amount of rust on this one is much worse than my other IDI so unless the fiancé (shes a body tech/painter by trade) is up for a challenge, I think this will get the cab from the 86 f150 reg cab and the 2wd IDI will have the minor rust issues fixed. Got some tires on rims ready to go on tomorrow so at least I can get it out onto the ice and test out the 4x4 components a bit more getting to the fishing spots. Got all new fluids and picking up filters tomorrow to get everything clean for some piece of mind. Oh and yet again out of any of the various ford trucks I have this is the makes every 86 i have that needs work to the heating system, just a blend door problem but still can't believe I haven't had one good working heater I didn't need to fix on my 86's.

Sal

Reaction score
Its camo? I thought he hit a deer with it and didn't want too wash his kill off.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well looks like the head gasket/cracked head decided to let go on the truck, moved it from the second yard up to the shop last weekend and it was running rough and smoking bad. Went out to change the oil and fix a few oil leaks today on it and the oil was way over full and the coolant level was low. Drained the oil and had 2-3liters of coolant come out before any oil did. Won't even fire now and over pressurizes the coolant system just from cranking over. So now I will be pulling the motor to find out what let go and if I will keep this build going or just use it as a donor parts truck for my other IDI.