1985 F250 6.9 short to ground

H3LLSP4WN

Reaction score
1985 F250 short in harness can’t find diesel schematics so I’m using a schematic from an F250 that has a 5.8 351 in it for the lights and other internal wiring the short is coming from inside the cab is what I’m thinking the grounds are found on light blue/red interior lights and curtesy lights, light green/black high beams, brown tail/marker lights and warning lamps can’t remember wire color anyone have any ideas I’m stranded and need help thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What circuit are you seeing a ground signal on? You need to follow that and find the problem, likely one of the big yellow wires feeding power into the cab rubbed through something, ground out on the firewall/cab/chassis and burnt a fusible link next to the master cylinder or starter relay.

H3LLSP4WN

Reaction score
What circuit are you seeing a ground signal on? You need to follow that and find the problem, likely one of the big yellow wires feeding power into the cab rubbed through something, ground out on the firewall/cab/chassis and burnt a fusible link next to the master cylinder or starter relay.
I traced the fuse able links and removed the external part of the vehicle by separating the problem wire so I could drive to a place where I can work on the vehicle it is in the lights but I can’t find which wire it all the lights from the tail lights to interior and even the high beams I was thinking switch and removed it from the equation and that didn’t solve it either I can give a list of wire colors and what they are labeled on the schematic that I do have but they are not for this vehicle they are for a gas 5.8 but so far they color match as good was wondering if there was more to the diesel schematics then the one I have when it comes to the interior wiring

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What problem are you having with the lights? The few trucks I have owned did not have many lighting problems other than Main light switch and hi/low switch on floor. Most grounds for lighting is usually grounded to body/frame.

H3LLSP4WN

Reaction score
What problem are you having with the lights? The few trucks I have owned did not have many lighting problems other than Main light switch and hi/low switch on floor. Most grounds for lighting is usually grounded to body/frame.
There is a ground in the system I am trying to track down it on every light from tail light to head light high beams that is my problem right now I know most lights are grounded to frame but there is a ground on the power wires

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the Hi/low beam switch on the floor and check for the problem. 1 thing to check if you have not done so. They tend to get moisture in them and go bad.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the fuse box and makes sure nothing has burned through on the back side of it.
Right top rear where the Yellow wires attach is where I had one of my truck's wiring overheated.

H3LLSP4WN

Reaction score
I bought the truck in December with bad tanks and fuel pump due to it sucking up rust from tank replaced front tank and installed electric fuel pump drove over 2000 miles then the short happened the current pictures are the state it’s in due to the ground issue and trying to find what is causing it

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a light bulb short to ground about 5 years ago. It took me 5 or 6 days of hunting to find that bulb. It was a clearance light that had shorted! What a pain in the ass to get to. Had to drop the interior roof panel to get to it. I have been working on cars and trucks my entire life and I had NEVER seen a light bulb short to ground. One of the wires inside the bulb was causing the short. :mad:

H3LLSP4WN

Reaction score
I had a light bulb short to ground about 5 years ago. It took me 5 or 6 days of hunting to find that bulb. It was a clearance light that had shorted! What a pain in the ass to get to. Had to drop the interior roof panel to get to it. I have been working on cars and trucks my entire life and I had NEVER seen a light bulb short to ground. One of the wires inside the bulb was causing the short. :mad:

thanks I’ll check that out now

H3LLSP4WN

Reaction score
i have found 2 so far thanks one more light and something in my glow plug circuit I didn’t notice before until after I was checking the outcome of the grounds disappearing and noticed I had written down wrong wire color for it so I had been trying to track it on the wrong components

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
So I'm not the only one with my dash torn out.

These trucks are notorious for having electrical shorts
and burned wires and fuse boxes.

I've been working on mine for YEARS and still haven't
figured out my problems.

Searched forever for the factory wiring diagram.
Finally found copies of the factory wiring diagrams
at:

Auto Books Bishko Sales.

1-800-544-3312
We are open 8:00 am to 7:00 pm EST Monday through Friday,
and 8:00 am to 2:00 pm EST on Saturdays.
You can also send email to [email protected].

Qty Item-no Description Price Total
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 2812:eb9710R 1985 FORD F-100 to F-350 TRUCK Wiring Diagrams $24.95 $24.95

Shipping : $7.50
Sales Tax : 0
Order Total: $32.45

You'll get about five extra large pages of diagrams
of all the electrical in the truck.

It is the BEST you can find.

Good luck