1984 F350 - No idea what i'm doing

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be surprised when the reman or new starter does not look the same as the one you removed. All of my IDI's have gear reduction starters, but nearly all suppliers have the new style that supersedes the OEM, is not gear reduction, are shorter and don't have the support on the nose like OEM. My experience with the one I just installed has been positive, but I kept my OEM style core to have rebuilt by a local and keep on the shelf as a spare.

Also, initially while you are cranking, it is a good idea to back off the nuts on all of the lines at the injectors to purge any air intrusion. This will significantly reduce the stress on your starter trying to get fuel to the injectors.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Knuckledragger Wes posted this company. Report back on how they work so I can buy one too.

I run 150 miles. Switch to the back tank that works and run another 150. Then fill up with give or take 30 gallons. The working sending unit stresses me more than the front, broken one. LoL.

http://www.trexautoparts.com/

nick2020

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase Facet Dura-Lift Fuel Pump. I noticed on the tutorial on this site they are using the 4 psi pump. I sit ok to use the
DIESEL DURA-LIFT ELECTRONIC FUEL PUMP 33GPH 9-11.5 PSI ?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Don't be surprised when the reman or new starter does not look the same as the one you removed. All of my IDI's have gear reduction starters, but nearly all suppliers have the new style that supersedes the OEM, is not gear reduction, are shorter and don't have the support on the nose like OEM. My experience with the one I just installed has been positive, but I kept my OEM style core to have rebuilt by a local and keep on the shelf as a spare.

Also, initially while you are cranking, it is a good idea to back off the nuts on all of the lines at the injectors to purge any air intrusion. This will significantly reduce the stress on your starter trying to get fuel to the injectors.

I had my F250 towed to a shop I had used many times before when it's starter broke (the wire that enters it somehow broke off). The shop kept getting sent those incompatible ones based on their parts fiche for an 87 F250 IDI.

The tow truck driver was lazy and didn't call ahead to see what exact truck I had, despite having my phone number. He saw 87 F250 on the order and for whatever reason, assumed single cab and short bed, so he brought the smaller hauler rather than the larger. He didn't want go to back and get the larger one, so...

You must be registered for see images attach

nick2020

Reaction score
i want to say thanks to everyone for the help so far. I have the electric fuel pump installed. I'm trying to bleed the fuel lines. I can get diesel up to the Schroeder valve. I crack an injection line and crack for 5 to 10 seconds at a time but no diesel comes out. Any advice as to what my next step should be?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd crack all 8 at once. That way you'll be bleeding them all at once. You'll always get fuel to one or two before the others. Another thing to try is to crack all that you can reach at the pump itself. Even if it's just four, it may help get the air out of the pump.

nick2020

Reaction score
It started. Honestly I can't believe it. As it turns out the truck had a kill switch to the ip. Once I found that then I started seeing diesel out of the injectors. Again thank's to everyone I learned a lot installing the pump.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It started. Honestly I can't believe it. As it turns out the truck had a kill switch to the ip. Once I found that then I started seeing diesel out of the injectors.
WOW. As simple as it was, it's kind of a need to know thing to tell someone when they buy a truck with this installed. Now it all makes sense though. I'm glad you found it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit the tech section at the top of this forum and cruise around , congrats on finding the p.o. Kill Switch (shame on him for not telling ya)...