1984 7.3 powerstroke build

goldsjos18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so one quick question so i started the truck and sat in the cab and holy smokes batman is it loud in their granted i have nothing for an exhaust on the truck but it sound more like engine noise than exhaust...... i will admit the original 6.9 was noisy to but this is on a totally different level would a down pipe and proper exhaust quiet down the motor or do i need the buy sound deadening material

goldsjos18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also i have no idea what im doing when it comes to re doing brake lines so does 300 dollars sound to much to have a shop do them?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can buy a premade kit for 200-ish but then you have to install them.
and I would definitely put some sort of sound deadening insulation in it, everywhere you can, on the roof, in the doors.
EVERYWHERE

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you go the cheap route and try to flare your own, I would only advise steel.
if you buy the kit, I advise stainless.
flaring stainless is not easy.
but it lasts for ever.
out here in CA, brake lines don't much matter, because the rust issue is minimum.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Dynomat is over priced.
Eastwood makes some stuff, but I think it's fairly pricey also.
Some use stuff from home depot or the like.

Yeah, HEUI injectors are noisy. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out a product called Lizard Skin. I've seen it used and it works very well as sound insulation. The exhaust will get less obnoxious as it has tube to run through. If any of the body isn't locked down tight it will exaggerate the noise level also. I'm with @IDIoit on brake lines. Buying stainless and installing yourself would be my choice. I've flared and bent steel line which isn't a terrible job, and it doesn't cost much to get the right tools to do it. Whatever your budget allows, though learning how to properly bend and flare line is a handy skill.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used AC duct insulation from home depot, think I spent 200 on the entire interior

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out a product called Lizard Skin. I've seen it used and it works very well as sound insulation. The exhaust will get less obnoxious as it has tube to run through. If any of the body isn't locked down tight it will exaggerate the noise level also. I'm with @IDIoit on brake lines. Buying stainless and installing yourself would be my choice. I've flared and bent steel line which isn't a terrible job, and it doesn't cost much to get the right tools to do it. Whatever your budget allows, though learning how to properly bend and flare line is a handy skill.

its not so much how to learn to bend and flare, its getting the correct equipment,
I have a 3/16 and a 1/4 " individual bender, small radius, but there like 75$ each.
eastwood sells a badass flaring kit, but its 200 bucks, but never screw up another flare

if you plan on doing other projects, I suggest getting these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-Single-D...767150?hash=item212fbbf22e:g:y1gAAOSwa~BYWFBT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-91...152520&hash=item1e9e005a2f:g:IEIAAOSw3pVZyR2k

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interior noise...and now the REAL challenge starts LOL

I had the chance to compare a 1995 powerstroke to my 6.9, and I can tell you the powerstroke was louder. Both trucks were XLT's and both trucks had all their factory sound insulation in tact. Both trucks had properly functioning exhaust systems as well.

You're going to want some kind of mass loading on the interior metal to cut down on the noise. Firewall and foot-wells in particular (just like the factory equipped diesel trucks). I used a low cost product called "Frost King" and it works well but not quite as good as the Mass Loaded Vinyl and Jute Rubber that was used from factory. If you really want to kill the noise, you'll also need insulation inside the fenders and hood. That will prevent sound reflections from entering the cab, or passing through the windscreen.

When I put my truck back together, I was reluctant to reinstall the hood lining insulation because it wasn't very nice looking after 30 years. The added engine noise convinced me it was worth trying, and it was noticeable. In fact I may even attempt to somehow clean up the fender lining insulation and put that back in too. A lot of noise gets bounced around in the engine bay, so the more you can kill there, the more effective your cab insulation will be.

If you have a look at my resto-project, Page 10 and up deals with sound proofing:

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/tin-bashing.71759/page-10

With everything I did thus far, engine noise is comparable to stock. However wind noise was also cut down thanks to a combination of added roof lining, stiffeners and new weather seals. Engine noise may seem like a problem right now, but once you get that powerstroke/5speed combo up to speed (and it will accelerate effortlessly!), You'll likely find that wind noise is the most annoying beyond 70 MPH.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a product that I think was noico brand? Sold on amazon but cheaper if you shop around on fleabay.

goldsjos18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys truck is off in a shop getting all new brake lines finally but one big question if i saved my change and purchased a gear vendors would i need to have the drive shaft shortened ?????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online