1978 F150 Turbo IDI build

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, those looks good!
Thanks man! It makes it easy when you work at a metal shop!

New update—
Got the engine in as stated in my last post but it didn’t seem to fit as well as I wanted it to. I took the rubber engine mounts out and took them to work. I used a 9/16 x 1” punch to put slots where the original bolt hole was. Reinstalled and it sits much better and now has room for the idi power steering pump to fit like it was meant to.
@Thewespaul sent me an intake and the valley pan gasket so I welded a 90* onto the top for a better boosting seal. I am still working on my custom twin intake but I don’t have a lot of time right now to finish it so this was the easier option. Got the flywheel and clutch assembly bolted and torqued today as well but waiting on a throw out bearing to bolt the trans up.
Also removed old fuel lines and wires that had unobvious locations. I replaced the fuel lines with 1/2” supply and 3/8” return. I’m using fuel/air/tranny fluid rated nylon line for those. I also found that my original 400 didn’t have a return so I removed the fuel sending unit and made a 1/2” stainless line which I welded next to the original 3/8” line. I made the 1/2” as long as the 3/8” on the fuel sending unit so when the fuel returns it will be less likely to adgitate and foam the fuel. I also relocated the idi filter head to the frame under the cab to clear up space under the hood. I’m running the 1/2” line up to the IP inlet and using the stock engine mounted return hard line for the return.
Also, I removed the ‘78 pedal assembly and installed the one from the idi donor.
That’s what I’ve gotten done so far but I’m trying to get it running on the road by Monday or Tuesday (Friday now) so if everything goes to plan I’ll be rollin in style soon! More updates to come in the next few days!

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the only one I have so far. I’ll take more tomorrow of the progress. I’m planning on having the engine started and the cab back on but at least you’ll get a nice peak at the intake
You must be registered for see images attach

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don’t have any kids yet and I’m using a tractor haha. Got the cab and all back on, I gotta drill two holes in the engine towers to bolt my drag arm back in the stock location and fab up my intercooler pipes.

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I’ve last posted. Moved and I’m having a baby any day now so not a lot of time to work on the truck. I got it running and even N/A it pushes the f150 around great!! I have had several ideas as far as turbo setups go but what I’ve settled on is running two HE351CW turbos as twins into a large ST50 turbo. (Got the ST50 for cheap so I’ma use it). Due to steering linkage clearance I couldn’t use the exhaust manifolds I had planned so I had to restart those. As to control the HE351 turbos I have collaborated with guys over on Cummins forums and the best bet is to run a spring gate to limit the boost off of drive pressure. I hogged out the wastegate ports to 1” so help lower drive pressures. I feel as the spring gates will give me more tune ability by matching the boost/drive ratios as close to 1:1. The ST50 of course is non gated and I don’t think it will need to be as it is massive. Just as precautionary though I am installing adjustable air compressor pressure relief valves into the intake stream along with a home kit of water/****. For fueling I will be running the omega moose after I get the spare funds.
Also some would think that there wouldn’t be that much space under the stock hood but I have lots of room and can even fit a 4” DP down the back which will go to my 4” exhaust. Pics in next post

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa Nellie! You're gonna have a twins-fed compound setup on a 6.9? Even with studs I think the 6.9 is only safe up to 20-25 psi.

Or is this setup for the IDIT you bought? Either way it will take a lot of fuel to spool those bad boys. :popcorn

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to mock it up on my IDIT but than tune it on my 6.9. Gotta get my buddy Wes taken care of on some things than while I’m working the bugs out of the twin compound setup I’ll build my IDIT. Looking to run an oring and I am now working with a head gasket manufacturer that says they can make a copper head gasket with integral o rings so I don’t have to cut my block.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to mock it up on my IDIT but than tune it on my 6.9. Gotta get my buddy Wes taken care of on some things than while I’m working the bugs out of the twin compound setup I’ll build my IDIT. Looking to run an oring and I am now working with a head gasket manufacturer that says they can make a copper head gasket with integral o rings so I don’t have to cut my block.
Maybe a few of us can group buy with you to get the price down on those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a few of us can group buy with you to get the price down on those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what I was thinking too. If they really can do it than they would sell a lot I bet. Not only to guys looking to get big power but also for people who tow and want a general long term solution to the failure prone option we have available now. Supposedly they are able to incorporate the rubber grommets into the copper gasket so sealing of coolant passages and oil ports won’t be an issue as seen with normal copper headgaskets. I’m very interested to see what they can do with this because if it really can be done and at a moderate price, it will open up a whole new game for the IDI. What would people pay for such a gasket set?