180,000 btu's with wmo?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was doing some research on the btu's of the various fuels and found one site that says wmo has up to 180K btu's, compared to 130K with wvo and 140k with diesel.
sounds kind of high but that's just fine with me if it is true. The reason i question is because it was a site that sells waste oil furnaces that makes that claim...

I know it has considerably more than wvo because i fired my kiln with it the other day and it used quite a bit less fuel than the wvo i normally use. But does anyone know if that 180K claim is correct or what?
thanks,
Paul

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds about right, i used to work at a used oil furnace place. i didnt get into the burner part but could try asking someone i still know there.

sassyrel

Reaction score
stodgy old white guy vs. air head lying mulatto ----------who wouldnt know one end of a gun from the other

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So, why do people burning WMO report a loss in fuel milage compared to straight #2, if there are more BTU's in WMO compared to diesel? Is it because of the higher viscosity of the WMO causing a worse spray pattern from the injectors?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Maybe WMO has a high ignition temperature so the timing is retarded so there isn't a complete burn so the mpgs suffer?

sassyrel

Reaction score
Maybe WMO has a high ignition temperature so the timing is retarded so there isn't a complete burn so the mpgs suffer?
part of the answer--if you put water vapor injection to it--that helps immensely---helps to "burn" thru the heavier oil--i ask myself if a guy preheated the oil to block temp, if it would make a diff
????--which i will find out as soon as i get the engine changed in mine------

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
part of the answer--if you put water vapor injection to it--that helps immensely---helps to "burn" thru the heavier oil--i ask myself if a guy preheated the oil to block temp, if it would make a diff
????--which i will find out as soon as i get the engine changed in mine------

did your engine get messed up from running wmo or is there another reason why you are replacing it?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
i ask myself if a guy preheated the oil to block temp, if it would make a diff
????

Heating fuel regardless if K1, D2, B99, WVO or WMO does NOT change the ignition temperature but will change its viscosity. Blending a slow burning fuel (WVO & bioD = high ignition temp) with a faster burning fuel (K1 or D2 = low ignition temp) is the answer to a complete burn with optimal power.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Heating fuel regardless if K1, D2, B99, WVO or WMO does NOT change the ignition temperature but will change its viscosity. Blending a slow burning fuel (WVO & bioD = high ignition temp) with a faster burning fuel (K1 or D2 = low ignition temp) is the answer to a complete burn with optimal power.

That may be true, but starting with a fuel that is at a higher temp, it would take less time for it to reach its ignition temperature, therefore combusting. That to me would equal advancing the timing just a skosh.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score

93turbo_animal

Reaction score

umm no where in those links did it say how long it takes to ignite just that it requires a certain tempature to ingnite. if you don't think heating the oil makes it light faster then your wrong take some cold vo and toss it on your campfire your liable to put it out but if you hang it over the fire awhile let the oil heat then toss some on the fire it will light much much faster. Also since heating the oil thins it out letting it atomize better which will help it to ignite another way heating the oil will help it to burn better

FordGuy100

Reaction score
umm no where in those links did it say how long it takes to ignite just that it requires a certain tempature to ingnite. if you don't think heating the oil makes it light faster then your wrong take some cold vo and toss it on your campfire your liable to put it out but if you hang it over the fire awhile let the oil heat then toss some on the fire it will light much much faster. Also since heating the oil thins it out letting it atomize better which will help it to ignite another way heating the oil will help it to burn better

Those were my thoughts exactly ;Sweet.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
My vegoil is at 180*F right before the heads. That is a high normal temperature for vegoil. Regardless of heat my truck has always been sluggish from a dead stop and climbing hills on vo. This is due to the vegoil retarding my timing because of its high auto ignition temperature. By blending as little at 10% kerosene I drop the AIT enough to advance the timing to get full power on WVO. Running hot oil has nothing to do with it. So I do have experience running fuels hot as my rear tank of biodiesel is also run through my heat exchanger and is at 160*F right before the heads.

Read this.
Its topic is a quieter engine on WVO is not better. That's where it dawned on me to blend my WVO with the lowest AIT fuel (K1). I realize you're doing WMO and I have no WMO knowledge. All I know is what works for me with my truck and WVO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online