18.9 MPG - New personal long trip MPG record!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been considering swapping my Bronco's gasser engine for an IDI, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it from a MPG standpoint.
A bit OT, but you might want to take a look at some of Mel's posts about the mileage he's gotten out of the Moosestang and out of the Night Moose (F-150 SWB with an IDI)...IMHO with the right tranny and rear end gearing, it's worth it.

And, back on topic :D sounds very good! I've gotten similar mileage out of my truck if careful with the throttle and not driving too fast...IMHO it's rather impressive that you can get that kinda mileage out of a truck this big and heavy!!

I've lived in CA all of my life and have yet to make the trip to Death Valley (even though my dad doesn't live all that far away)...I'll have to head over there some winter...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at high altitude (no turbo) the exhaust will start getting dark at maybe 3/4 throttle for example -- Cruise control will apply full throttle uphill if speed drops low enough, so I'll keep cruise off and keep an eye on the exhaust in the mirror. Actually, checking the exhaust is one of the co-pilots jobs ;Sweet.
Yup i know, thats why I was surprised by you saying you experienced no smoke... but i see you drove slow to avoid the smoke now :D