Long trip to NC

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dear lovely wife has me leaving on a 1,000 mile trip Sunday. We will be using my mother's '01 F250 7.3l with the E4od trans pulling a 16ft stock trailer. The truck has 141K and had the trans redone about 20-25K miles ago. Not sure why the trans quit Dad back then, think it was a botched trans service. It only had 3 trailers behind it before that all 16ft flatbed or my stock trailer with me driving. Wife says I drive like an "old man". Anyway, taking mostly interstates and thinking of heading south out of Nashville to avoid the mountains in eastern TN. It looks like going thru Atlanta and SC will be flatter ground. Will the trans run too hard in OD and should I drive slower (which will make the wife crazy) and drive w/o OD? Don't even want any trans trouble.

Are there any members along the I24 from KY to I75, I20, I95 into NC route??

Thanks

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The only time you really need to lock out O/D is if it's hunting gears. (Shifting back and fourth like) Or if you want to keep RPM'S up.
Btw, that's a 4R100. A e40d could only wish to be that good. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not really convinced the 4r100 is that good.lol. The e4od under my ole 95 Bronco was flawless. Pulled more weight many times and survived being submerged in 4 ft of water in creek when it was stolen.. but I digress. Rather use my IDI but it's not been timed yet and the PSD gets better mileage and I haven't got the second tank back under the IDI.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd probably rather take I40 than deal with Charlotte traffic. There's really only 1 good pull going that way that I recall but it's been a long time since I did it. Going 24 to Atlanta you have to pull Mont Eagle which is like 6% for 12-13 miles if memory serves.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and got the truck and trailer today. Drove along the I49 interstate coming back from getting the trailer about 10 miles. Stayed around 65 mph, barely felt the trailer, but since the trans has been redone it seems to wind a few more rpm's before it shifts. This may be in my mind, but I have never mashed the pedal to the floor to get a load up to speed. We are stopping at an aunt and uncle's place in Nashville and will get with them on the better route. I have tools, a spare fuel filter jack, lug wrench and a belt packed. New tires on the truck and 2 new on the trailer, the other 2 fairly new, good spares for both. Leaving MO early Sunday morn, will post on our travels.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, this is the first chance I've had to report. We left Sun morn early and got to Nashville late afternoon to spend the night with family. The first tank was fuel in mom's truck burnt fast, under 10 mpg pulling an empty 16ft stock trailer. Next tank was just over 11 mpg and have had as high as 14.5 mpg running 65-70 mph. Wow!!! I-40 thru the Blue Ridge Mountains was quite the ride, enough that I decided a slightly longer more southern route home was better with having the animals loaded. NC thru SC on to GA, AL, MS then to TN at Memphis. Crossing over the river to AR and one 2 lane hwy back to hwy 60 in MO to the farm. The PSD has been flawless so far... Better not have jinxed myself saying that. A proximately 2,200 mile trip.....Sheesh I must really love my wife

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online