16.5's

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, last time I looked Interco had the largest selection of 16.5 tires.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG A/Ts are nice tires, smooth riding and wear well. I had 35 A/Ts on my truck when I first got it. Look at the actual load rating on those Ds, they are probably higher than you think. As far as mud tires go, you are probably stuck with Interco in a 16.5. If you get a swamper radial, they seem ok. I had a set of SSRs on my Jeep, they rode smooth, no complaints.
Travis..

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 39s ride fine. In the morning they are a little tough for a minute. They have a little up and down between 60-70km/h I have 35" BFG A/Ts for winter and I love them. In my opinion, greatest all around tire ever.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Bfg's have a thin sidewall and feel loose compared to most any of the other popular tires on tow rigs, I'll never tow with another set again..

Pitbulls are a nice tire, they can sure take the abuse too! There really aren't a lot of mud tires in a 16.5 these days everyone is caught up in the big wheel thing these days. I understand it for towing and HUGE tire side hill stability etc but those are the only times it isn't fully retarded...

Not sure of the supply these days but Denman still makes the groundhog and gumbo in a 16.5, same with **** cepek/mickey thompson. Personally I just picked up a set of 37" good year mt's on turbine mags for the ferd, we'll see how much it hates me towing with them. :D

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I had BFG muds, 35x12.50R15's and treated them like they were on an f450. By far the best mud tire there is as far as being streetable and still doing what there supposed to. They were only load range C and I ran along the side of Mustangs with 3500lbs in the bed and towed 12,000lbs with them. One time I filled the bed with I 5 gravel and screeted it off so it was flat with the bed rails. I broke the studs and either came close or lost a tire three times.

Yes, I was young and freakin' crazy but the BFG's made a lasting memory as the tire that impressed me the most. I run load range E nitto's and would put the D range BFG Muds on my truck in an instant.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running D rated BFG muds as summer tires, 315/75R16's... Never had issues with a D rated tire vs an E, most of them in bigger sizes have very comparable load ratings.
Personally I'd suggest running 16's, tires and rims are both cheaper.
16.5's, well, they're getting to be dinosaurs, tire availability is getting slim, and decent tires for them aren't cheap.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second on buying 16" versus 17". Tires for 17" are overpriced. I have 17" **** cepeks and I'm not running them right now due to needing new tires and can't afford $1000 just for the tires. Then you have to mount and balance.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There both kinda flashy for my taste, but I like the classic steel wagon wheel look.

I have run bfgs a few times and both times they began to throw tread before they visably dry rotted. They rode and hauled alright. Ive always like the nitto grapplers, pulled better in the mud bald than the bfgs and took a lot of weight abuse.

Im now running 305/70/16 wranglers, there alright I guess. They suck in the mud and sand but can handle an overloaded truck just fine.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running bfg at/ko on mine and have no problem towing and they are on 16.5x12 wheels and love the way they ride and haul so i guess its all up to your own preference

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would find out the weight rating on those wheels before I bought them. I bet you find they aren't as high as the tires you are getting. Depending on what you mean by "upgrade your brakes", you might look at 17"s instead. A 16" wheel is awfully close to the caliper on stock brakes.

Also, those Firestone Destination M/Ts are noisey something terrible, even when new. I bet they will be REALLY noisey once they get some TTB wear on them. We run these tires on some trucks at work, and they are miserable to drive any distance. Noisyest, roughest riding tire I've driven on in long time.
Travis..

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
green diamond and ground hawgs are good both made the 16.5 last time i checked

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Are the American Racing ones made in the USA? I'd spend a few extra bucks for that alone. My new tires must be US made as well. It is that important in this day and age.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093

Members online

No members online now.