12v glow plugs

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like autolite 1112's fit, and they are 10.5V 90W !. That would be cool. talk about easier starting in winter!

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez, if thats all it takes to get reliable glowplugs is a different model, and voltage, why all the posts about the beru's/motorcraft. I mean really, we put all kinds of parts into these engines, whats one more?

Thanks FordsandGuns, That was a great post to bring back. I didn't realize that out IDI's were running 6v glow plugs in a 12v system. To me, thats a no no for reliability, any time you run double the rated voltage, your going to shorten service life.

Edit: FYI, if your thinking of switching to the 1107's,, they are being discontinued at AZ. 7.99 each. but you gotta special order.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
what app. do those 1112s fit. putting autolites in is almost always asking for trouble.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fit 6.2L and 6.5L cheby diesels. AZ has 1110 listed as normal start and 1112's listed as fast start.

1110's are 10V 70W, 1112's are 10.5v 90W!

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scarlet Moose wouldn't start the other day, so did some checking. Found all 8 Bosch plugs were dead. Installed by the PO. Thank God they all came out OK. Beru's from Rock Auto are going in.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Tested the bosch 80034 today, tip glowed at 5 seconds and then slowly fully warmed up by 25 seconds. I was hoping they were real slow like the 1106, but I have never seen a glow plug that looked as high quality as this bosch. They will be in the truck tommorow. I didnt get to test it as much as the autolite, but tested it several times to a minute or two.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
The fit 6.2L and 6.5L cheby diesels. AZ has 1110 listed as normal start and 1112's listed as fast start.

1110's are 10V 70W, 1112's are 10.5v 90W!

I still like the 1110's I think. How are the 1112's a fast start if they are 10.5v? Seems like they wouldn't heat any faster than the 1110?:dunno

I agree about using a 6v plug on a 12v system.
I want to run a manual switch and I like the idea of the plugs not burning up if my brother has to use my truck.
And I won't mind the extra wait for the plugs to heat.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got 9 of the 80034's....gonna try and blow one up in the morning; we'll see how it goes, but based on all my reasearch I am hopeful that this will be the end of my gp troubles

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12v for 5 mins, no issues.....18 volts for 5 mins and lost 1 (of all 9)...no swelling, it developed beru style pinholes, could easily be removed.

I am sold..going into the truck in the morning

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome!! Thanks for testing these, taking one for the team. Keep us updated on any problems you have. I am looking forward to doing this to mine, as i think i'm down to two or three good ones left.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I seriously hope these plugs dont fck up and it comes back to bite yall in the butt, there nothing wrong with motorcraft glowplugs there the best period

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree they work great on my 85....but like someone else pointed out, there is only 10.8 making it to the plug. For a connection that runs from the battey through a relay, and then to the plug that is downriight pitifull. When you consider how weak the electrical systems are in these trucks to begin with, to create a system that functions (admittidly good at time) so incredibly ineffecient is imho downright stupid. you are spending almost as much energy creating wasted heat (resistance) as you are heating the elements.

Maybe it just the over-building engineering side of me, in as much as "saftey margin" is built into everything you cant deny a 6v plug getting 10~12v is being overtaxed 30%~50% any time it is powered (even in short duration). Replacing it with a quality part rated for the voltage that will actually be seen will always increase reliability and performance. My motorcrafts were fine until my wiring became effecient...then they lasted all of 2 months.

I dont mean it as a slam, but I also dont like blanket statments like X-is the best period...I hope they dont fck up, as that would be a pita, but in all honesty, it is an underrated product (spec wise) used in a controlled environment where supposidly it can be kept in some form of operting condition. I know for a fact that I an pull 35,000 lbs with a pintle on the back of my 86....I do it in the yard about once a week at 15~25 mph....no doubt in my mind it will do it all day long, but I would never take it out on the road....the reciever is rated at 10k, and there are no trailer brakes. Just cause its easier than grabbing and equiping a tractor does not make it better, just easier for the conditions at hand

sorry if that was a rant
t

Black dawg

Reaction score
tested an ac 32g and a zd9 today both lasted 2 times at 30 secs, the ac failed the third and the beru the forth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86