12v glow plugs

Black dawg

Reaction score
tested some glow plugs for the old 5.7 diesel. the only one that I could get for today was an autolite so I torture tested it. with 12.5v at the plug on for 5 minutes it never failed. I did this test 10 times. they take right at 30 secs to be fully warmed up and draw 7.2 amps. The only other brand plug that I can get is bosch and will test them the same way, but I plan on putting them in my truck.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested a full set of autolites before putting them in my truck (they got replaced with motorcrafts in less than a week:rolleyes:).
On the first few, after about 8-9 seconds you could see the tip start swelling.
On one of them, the tip exploded and blew off after about 2 seconds:eek: (before it even got red).
I will never waste money on "off" brands again.

Although, on my 6.2s ACDelcos have been good for me. They make a self-limiting plug (#60G) so it won't blow the tip. Works great with manual control;Sweet
I had 2 6.2s setup like this, the one I have now might need it soon if I keep it through the winter.

Black dawg

Reaction score
IH 444 these are not the plugs correct to our application, the autolites that fit our trucks always fail, and usually inside of 15secs, and if heated much more than that the tip always explodes. Ive done that test many times to show counter guys to not sell autolites. The reason they dont fail so quickly in a truck is because there is less than 10v at the plugs because of voltage drop in the harness.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
black....will the 1106's thread into a 6.9?

I have gone through 4 zd1a's. converted over to zd-9's....after 3 starts at 7 seconds 2 of them are toast....all in a 4 month period. First mistake I made was upgrading all the wiring and going manual; each plug sees a full 12.4v, so 6 volt plugs dont stand much of a chance.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the 1106s will fit, but wouldnt recommend the autolite plug. Have somebody cross that number to a different brand, all that I can come up with is bosch and I dont have them to test yet. I made the same "mistake" of upgrading the wiring and burning up plugs, and I only see 10.5v at the plugs going through the resistor at the contoller. before I upgraded my wiring I would see 8 volts or less at the plugs. Kinda makes me wonder how the original bullet connector plugs could be 10.5v when they get hot as fast as they do compared to a plug marked 11v. also the champion bullet plug says 5v on the side and acts the same and lasts the same if not better than the others marked 10.5v

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
champion p/n is 178
ac/delco is 12g

I dont trust autolites either....
just from quick research I am ordering the Bosch 80034's....will have to change the wiring back to spades, but if they test out as well as the autolites its a small price to pay.

I am more than willing to wait 30 seconds for a full warm up; thats still a hell of a lot easier than replacing 2 every other month.
T

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Dunno about the AC Delcos, I have a bunk truck out in the drive way cause their so good. Dead relativey new plugs burnt open and broken off tips in heads.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
odd...I pulled a cross reference and it showed them as interchangeable...which bosch part number did you order (I am thinking that getting a full 12v to them is whats causing them to burn up)

Black dawg

Reaction score
dont know the bosch# off hand, but its supposed to be the same plug as the autolite 1106. someone on here tested some of the 12gs and the tip glowed in under 10 secs and a few of them failed. The factory application for these plugs (1106, cha178, 7g all 11v plugs) hold the plugs on 30 to 60 secs preglow, and 30 to 60 after glow, no cycling. the 12g superceded the 7g, even though its not correct for the application.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this a good upgrade or not? I also am willing to wait 30 sec for full glow to start. Especially if they can go five minutes at a time (over and over). Thats got to be good for durability. Thats one way to fight a hard starting engine, and maybe good for the WMO and WVO guys too.

I noticed the 1107's are a 6v 53W plug, and the 1106's are a 11v 75W plug. If I can get 53W of heat on 10.5 volts, then it should start. I like the idea of underpowering the glow plugs, and doubling the reliability.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that would work for me... as the truck spends around 60% of the time in phoenix, and worst case needs about 6 seconds of glow after sitting for 12~14 hours, when I rebuilt the system I went full manual.
I should have the bosch plugs I ordered sometime tomorrow...hopefully the tests will be similar to what you have already found, I would be seriously happy if they could survive a full min.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx