12v glow plugs

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fender relay is positive switch.....i used a hot in run wire to the switch, and then to the purple wire on the relay, nothing else had to change

Black dawg

Reaction score
now that its gotten colder I have more info on these plugs. down to 20 degrees starts good with 30 secs glow and starts quick and clean. 15 and colder need a full minute glow and starts are slower and rougher. itll start at -5 without being plugged in but not very good. Ive started it with these plugs down to -18 just to see if it would, but was a real pain. It started better at 15 and colder with the stock plugs, but comparing the two plugs side by side, the 80034 never gets as hot as the stock plugs. I plan on adding a grid heater to see if it will fix this. I had the grid heater on a 6.2 and it really made a difference on real cold mornings

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep us posted on how that works....unfortunatly I have only been able to find temps down to about 28~25.....I have been giving them 20~25 secs and a bit of afterglow and within 30 secs all is happy.

I would be seriously interested in a grid heater just as extra insurance.

All in all I am very satisfied with the 80034's, it takes a little longer, but being that it seems like you cant burn them out with battery power, and when they do fail they drop like the berus, i have a feeling the system will be reliable for years to come

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats great news on the 80034's. I've got a couple other GP that I'm going to test I think, just to see if they last and how they fail.

ACDelco 60G and autolite 1112's They cross for each other and are supposed to be Self regulating. The 1112's are higher wattage. 90w @ 10.5 V. Maybe over the x-mas holiday I will bench test them, no moola and no time right now.

Black dawg

Reaction score
well I decided to put the zd9s back in last night. under 15 degrees my tuck has been difficult to start with the 80034s. this morning at 9 degrees it started easily with about 8 seconds total cranking and 1 15 second cycle and 1 8 second cycle. I still think I have a fueling issue as on the first try it did nothing.

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
wait ok what are good glowplugs to use that will last a long time ? I understand a quarter of this post what plugs would I use and where and how do I get them?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are trying to keep it as stock as possible most guys swear by the motorcraft (beru) zd9's or zd1a's (depending on the year). The point of this thread was related to the fact that if you are using a manual controller it becomes very easy for someone to accidentally burn them out.
Each ones have there advantages and disadvantages. Honestly I would wait till Fishin76 publishes his video/test as that will provide some very valuable information.

The biggest issue with a plug burning out is most brands swell when they go bad so removing them requires disassembling the head...not fun

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pre 87's use the zd1a (spade connector), post 87 uses the zd9 (bullett connector)

If you are going to keep it stock make sure you test every part of the system before you install the new plugs...it is possible for the system to fail in an "on" state, in which case you will do what i did and promptly find yourself with 8 new, but well toasted plugs.

Another thought to keep in mind, the berus are NOT 12v plugs, and ford used wiring resistance to create the voltage drop necessary to keep the plugs alive....if you need to replace wire, do NOT upgrade it, use what the size/grade that was originally there. That was my second mistake...when I tested at the plugs I was only seeing 10v from the battery...installing "proper" gauge wiring brought it to full battery spec 12.2~12.4v...and promptly ate another set of plugs in 10 seconds....$200 later I decided to actually reseach this whole thing.

In some ways I like to read the manual after i have returned the product a few time for being noon-functional....the down side this time was it says on the bag 'cannot be returned after its open"...guess they knew I was comming

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed Wellman DRX00088's in mine. They wont burn out, and work with the stock controller on 86 and older controllers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online