12V Cooling

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm being convinced to go after a '97ish 12V for my Cummins conversion, and was wondering what kinds of issues I can expect related to keeping the engine cool when pulling heavy loads up long grades.

I've been fighting EGT issues with my International 7.3L engine... want to lose those problems if I can. It always seems like when I get EGTs down, engine temps peg the temp gauge. I'm talking about the long grades out of Flagstaff and places in California with only about 6500 pounds in tow.

Did the '97 engines come with an intercooler?

Mike

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
They are all intercooled from about mid '91 on. In stock form, pulling 6500 lbs shouldn't be a problem on any grade/temp. When you start bombing, the more air in/out you can get, the better.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have pulled two of the nastiest grades here in the east both with the same trailer. I just set the cruise control and enjoy (70mph). If I want to run faster than 70mph then I need to start paying attention to the pyro. We pull 10k lbs in the form of a tall TT (she's almost as tall as a 5er).

I don't pay much attention to either one (pyro or water temp). Unlike when I was in The E I was having to watch the pyro like a hawk plus on those same grades I was huffing and puffing to hold 60~65mph.

BigBadDodge

Reaction score
Big intake system, 4" straight piped turbo back exhaust, and water with about 12 to 15% **** mix for max cooling.

Maybe some water wetter in the rad.

BBD

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BigBadDodge said:
Big intake system, 4" straight piped turbo back exhaust, and water with about 12 to 15% **** mix for max cooling.

Maybe some water wetter in the rad.

BBD

The water/**** injection recommendations sound good... although I know of one user here who blew up his last truck with that combination. ;-)

What kind of longevity does water/**** provide? I'd only plan to switch it on during long grades or fast, short bursts if that is possible.

Mike

Whit

Reaction score
IMHO water/**** is putting yer truck on drugs and we all know that anything on drugs will shorten the life somewhat, I am sure it increased cylender pressure and therefore puts added stress on the head gasket. I bet some will argue with me on this :draw Let the games begin.

Cheers, Kevin

batfish

Reaction score
Mike, I used the stock Ford radiator (86) in my conversion. Keeps it plenty cool pulling my 4-horse trailer over mountain passes in Summer temps. Actually its running temps a little cooler than the previous 6.9. I can pull just about any grade at 4 th gear around 55-60 mph at 1900-2100 rpm loaded with egt around 900-1100. I do have to watch it though when things get steep and back off and down-shift as needed. The motor is a 94 12v with a #5 TST fuel plate, straight pipe.

Last edited:

BigBadDodge

Reaction score
Mike, kevin, I have been using the snow performance water **** kit for over two years now with no issues, I believe some folks get greety with it and therefore my have problems. Last year I ran a 50/50 mix with two 625 nozzels, still no issues, this year 4 nozzels. it has to be set up right in order to work right, I believe most of the big drag racing guy's use it as well for the cooling properties as they arent runing intercoolers.

BBD

Whit

Reaction score
Have you had any oil analsis done since the addition of water/****, I have asked alot of folks this and have yet to find an oil report, I aint bashin the system I am just one that wants proof of things before jumping in.

BigBadDodge

Reaction score
My oil isn't in the pull truck long enough to worry about an analysis. Perhaps snow performance has done one, I don't know. But buy the same token I haven't ever heard of there being a reason to conduct an analysis. Agree an analysis might help to put those who are skeptical about the use at ease.

BBD