$1200 idi update- Sand dunes!

Danoflapper

Reaction score
I've been driving the truck I bought at the end of february for $1200 for a few weeks now. It had a bad head on the drivers side. I replaced the head, did both headgaskets, valve seals, and a few other minor things. I will never do that without pulling the engine ever again. cookoo I changed all the fluids, replaced the front bumper, and added some gauges. After doing some wheelin' and deelin' on tires, i ended up with these rather than the gaudy 20s that were on it.

Anyway, some buddies and I went up to silver lake this past Saturday. We had a lot of fun, and a lot of breakages.... but not my IDI! It ran for 7 hours straight and burned only 16 gallons of fuel all day. It got 13.5mpg on the highway there and back. (keep in mind it was winding 3k at 70mph - top speed of 82!) I got to pull out a couple of broke chevys. That's always good :sly

Here's a couple pictures of it. I'm anxiously awaiting the broncoswapmeet to (hopefully) find some good deals on a hood and fenders. Next comes new carpet and a king ranch seat. Then paint, haven't decided bcc or single stage yet. But it will be burgundy/tan two tone!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More pics, I want to trailer the buggy to silverlake dunes if they are big enough.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silver lake is great. My cousins are up there all time. They run a blue first gen cummins, an orange 85 f250 idi, a 94 f350 cummins and a yellow jeep.

We always have a lot of fun and the idi always climbs the hills the best.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. A trouble free weekend and getting to tow out a couple of chevys... Not a bad weekend at all. Trucks looks nice too. Why do you need a hood and fender.. Those look fine in the pics..

Danoflapper

Reaction score
More pics, I want to trailer the buggy to silverlake dunes if they are big enough.

Sorry Russ, I only took these two pictures. I was having too much fun the rest of the time. That would be one heck of a trip. I would research the heck outta silver lake if I were you before you come all the way here. It's a great place but it is relatively small. I can't imagine it's even comparable to the dunes out west? That would be a fun trip though. Try silverlakeforum, there should be plenty of info and pics there.

Silver lake is great. My cousins are up there all time. They run a blue first gen cummins, an orange 85 f250 idi, a 94 f350 cummins and a yellow jeep.

We always have a lot of fun and the idi always climbs the hills the best.

There are definitely some sweet rides up there. I'm impressed how the old idi did, it doesn't have the power to climb some of the hills. My turbo truck did a lot better power wise, but it was just too long for cresting the peaked ones.

Wow.. A trouble free weekend and getting to tow out a couple of chevys... Not a bad weekend at all. Trucks looks nice too. Why do you need a hood and fender.. Those look fine in the pics..

It was a great weekend! The drivers side door and fender are smashed, and the hood has a wrinkle in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online

No members online now.