093 Up Pipe install

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently installing a factory turbo system on my 93. I can't seem to get the up pipe to fit all the way up. I keep getting stuck on Trans or firewall. I know my front body mounts are bad but I jacked up on it a little bit to take some sag out. Helped a little but still gets caught up. Any easy way of doing this. I know I'm not supposed to take it apart at the slip joint. I've been coming from bottom and pushing up

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you installing the crushed pipe or an upgraded pipe? The upgraded pipes won't go without some "massaging" of the firewall. At a minimum the lip of the firewall will have to go.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the up pipe and you pipe not down pipe. I'm not that far yet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you pull studs out of manifold? Cut ear off trans?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently installing a factory turbo system on my 93. I can't seem to get the up pipe to fit all the way up. I keep getting stuck on Trans or firewall. I know my front body mounts are bad but I jacked up on it a little bit to take some sag out. Helped a little but still gets caught up. Any easy way of doing this. I know I'm not supposed to take it apart at the slip joint. I've been coming from bottom and pushing up
if you can separate the slip joint, do so. or you have the choice of unboltint eh body and jacking it up and slipping 4x4 blocks between the body mount and body. that's how I eventually did mime.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can separate the slip joint, do so. or you have the choice of unboltint eh body and jacking it up and slipping 4x4 blocks between the body mount and body. that's how I eventually did mime.
I was told not to separate that if possible. I have a side of new poly body mounts. Didn't realize I needed 2 sets. I'm prolly going to unbolt the cab and lift up on the passenger side

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told not to separate that if possible. I have a side of new poly body mounts. Didn't realize I needed 2 sets. I'm prolly going to unbolt the cab and lift up on the passenger side

I had the same problem with my install. I bent the firewall and jacked up the body with 4x4s between the mounts and the frame. This still was not enough clearance. I ended up just separating the up pipe and installing the two pieces.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my install. I bent the firewall and jacked up the body with 4x4s between the mounts and the frame. This still was not enough clearance. I ended up just separating the up pipe and installing the two pieces.
Did you have any up pipes leaks when it was all back together? How much of a pain was it to seperate?

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far guys. Couldn't find any threads on here or Google. I thought I was the only one running into this

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I separated the slip fit tonight, didn't have light or time to try and put it in, I'll try tommorow. Don't think I'll have a problem loosening body mounts if I have to

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree with Typ4. I think Ford used bolts in the manifold instead of studs. That always seemed easier to me than fighting with the studs. An impact wrench and a deep socket works well here.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For both exhaust manifolds? What thread pitch are they, certain grade bolt I should run?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online