088 fitment questions

Black dawg

Reaction score
Looking at taking an 088 kit off of a 90 4x4 with a zf and putting it on an 84 4x4 with a t-19.
Hoping to be as close to 100% bolt on as possible. Am I going to run into anything t-19 vs zf?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THe mounting setup at the downpipe is different, but then again, the one that ATS would sell a person to go with a zf doesnt fit either and you have to cobble something together, so I guess it doesnt make much difference either way :dunno
Make sure to get a new grommet for the valley pan and seal for where teh CDR used to go and get the valve cover setup off the doner vehicle with the cdr mount
The grommet for the valley pan is not the dreaded one that you hear about that is no longer available from ATS, that is for the 093, the 088 takes the plain ol cdr grommet in there to seat the pedestal and it is easy to get.,( you may even have an old gasket set laying around with one in it )

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a pic or chisel and punch a couple holes in the valley pan baffle. The one underneath the grommet in the valley pan. And remember there are two layers to punch through. I failed to do this on the first go-around and it leaked like a sieve. Got to take it all apart and do it over.
I fought the seal on the up-pipe for a long time. Tried the Permatex tailpipe sealer first couple of times and it would seal fine until I made a hard run pulling my trailer, it would start leaking - less boost, less power. Finally tried the Versa-Chem tailpipe sealer (got it at O'reilly's) and it's been sealing fine for about 6 months now. But maybe my joint is worn out.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum foil works well to make a crush washer for some of these joints. Woln't work miracles, but sometimes it's just enough....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you have installed a new valley pan gasket any time recently, then the whole hole punching bit is not really needed. THey came out with those instructions with the turbo kits before they made the factory turbo engines. After the factory turbo engines came out, the valley pans were modified to allow for the increased oil flow from the factory turbo draining back through the valley pan and ford and all of the gasket makers eliminated the n/a part number for the valley pan and now only one part number exists so when you purchase a valley pan for either engine, you are getting a turbo valley pan..... HOWEVER if you still have an original n/a engine , then , yes, punch away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online

No members online now.