Pyrometer install questions

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what can be done to help keep the temp down?
only thing I can think is open up the pipes.

On an NA truck, two things: turn your fuel down or install a water/**** injection system. Check out the Tech Articles for information.

Mikerson

Reaction score
Hey mikerson
I've not installed one yet.
Had to spend about about 800 last week on a camping trip. 5 new tires for the camper and a new clutch master cylinder
So the truck upgrades and to get moved WAY down the list
Once I get it installed I'll do a write up

Depending on how long you have to wait, we might be installing around the same time. I'm hoping to install my turbo over labor day and the gauges would go on then too. I don't know how similar the dash is on your '93 to my '88, but I'm thinking of sticking both a pyro and boost in the little change cubby below and to the right of the steering wheel.

bj58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my Pyrometer last Friday from http://www.auberins.com. It showed up at the house yesterday. :D
Much sooner then I thought.
I spent about two hours cleaning up the trash of wires that one of the previous owners left.

It's mounted in the dash.

Once the storm passes our area I'll get it finished up and post a pic or two, maybe even a few notes for the next person.
You must be registered for see images attach

bj58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a built in dimmer, when you turn the lights on it dims

I got the Blue one so it matches the interior of the truck

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1100* as agnem stated is a safe #. There is a wide range of safe #'s out there that are different based on probe location. 1100* in the manifold N/A or turbo'd is safe, what about in the turbo exhaust housing where ATS put the probe location?

Mikerson

Reaction score
Looks good bj! I got mine installed over the weekend. Our dashes are different. I have both a pyro and boost mounted in the change thing at the bottom of the dash.

Which wire do you tap into for the dimmer? That's the only part I didn't hook up.

Here are some pics.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I ordered my Pyrometer last Friday from http://www.auberins.com. It showed up at the house yesterday. :D
Much sooner then I thought.
I spent about two hours cleaning up the trash of wires that one of the previous owners left.
It's mounted in the dash.
Sweet! ;Sweet It really looks good.

Once the storm passes our area I'll get it finished up and post a pic or two, maybe even a few notes for the next person.

Yeah, this one's being pretty boring right now but I think it will get more interesting tonight. Then again, I expect a Katrina every time now and I'd rather be disappointed than not!

Mikerson said:
I got mine installed over the weekend. Our dashes are different.

We have the same style dash, now I'm sold, getting one too soon as I get paid!

bj58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikerson,
I've not connected it yet. I just got it mounted last night.

I hope to work on it tonight but Issic might have other plans for me.
Once I find the dimmer wire I'll let U know.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BJ it looks good on the dash. A turbo will really help keep the EGT's under control and it will certainly help pull the camper.

You and your family be safe during the storm, we'll be praying for you all.

Heath

bj58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Heath.

I'm just playing it up. We are way west of the storm.
It should just be a really long thunder storm here in Mobile.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope so man. Seems that sucker may dump a lot of rain over the Gulf area. Love that part of the country. Hang in there.

Heath

bj58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikerson were did U mount the prob?
64 sounds low for a Pyro? or maybe not I really have no idea what it will be at idle.
and if it's your boost then that sounds a little high. ;Poke

Mikerson

Reaction score
I mounted to probe in the log manifold just to the front of the number 8 cylinder.

It was 64 degrees outside, that's why it says 64. Hadn't started the truck yet for the day.

For everybody's information, the 3 bar map pressure sensor from Auberin's that is bundled with the boost gauge is an absolute pressure sensor. You can get it to read manifold boost by setting the offset, but then it reads what the barometric pressure is when the engine isn't running. That's why mine says -1.5 (I'm at ~2500 ft.). On the other hand, it could be a quick way to reference just how much thinner the air is, say, when you are going over that pass than it is where you normally run.

I kind of wish I had ordered the 205G, which would read relative pressure. Too bad it's $22 more. In the end, it's not a big deal, just something to think about.