4 speed to ZF5 swap

85rollback

Reaction score
1986 6.9 idi 2wd F350 dually. This swap should be as straightforward as they get, but I still need help before I dive in. I currently have the factory manual 4 speed and it does run flawlessly. But I do need that overdrive to help with rpm's at highway speeds. I am installing a zf5. I do have a crossmember, and modifying the fork per some excellent pics on this forum will not be a problem. I have the money for a new flywheel/ clutch kit. Can y'all steer me toward the clutch kit I need? Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Get the Luk SMF kit, and get a separate throwout and pilot bearing, word is the kits come with poor quality bearings, but the flywheel and clutch are pretty good still.

Past that its all bolt in. You may need to modify your driveline to fit, not sure if the 4spd vs zf is different length.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the Luk SMF kit, and get a separate throwout and pilot bearing, word is the kits come with poor quality bearings, but the flywheel and clutch are pretty good still.

Past that its all bolt in. You may need to modify your driveline to fit, not sure if the 4spd vs zf is different length.
4 spd is same length as ZF5

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the easiest swap out there IMO, slave cylinder is the same

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C6 crossmember also works. Definitely get a new bearing, that LUK kit one is garbage. Kit is otherwise excellent

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.5-2hr for a committed young man. A couple days for the less committed older gentleman. Afew weeks for the seriously tedious person.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me a day having never done any transmission work before. I made some stands to lift the rear as high as I could, blocked the front wheels, and dragged the old trans out with a floor jack. Redid the rear main while I was back there as well. Made sure everything lined up with the tool and it slipped right in. Make some studs with all thread to use on the bottom holes and it helps immensely

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a house full of kids so projects like this take me a lot longer. But at least they’d learn something.

You guys all happy with the zf5?

It’s been years since regularly driving a manual..worth it?