Roadside Clutch Fix

Nigel1996

Reaction score
Longtime lurker with a story I've decided is worth sharing.
Me and my Father headed out to the Oregon Coast for Riding at Sand Lake, driving my truck with one UTV on top and the toyhauler with another inside, total weight 21,650 lbs. Recently swapped the murdered E40D with a ZF5. Headed up Hwy 6 right as it starts to get steep, truck loses it's clutch. Yank the transmission out of gear and pull over in a wide gravel shoulder. Quickly determine that the line for the hydraulic clutch has melted on the driver exhaust manifold due to some particularly poor routing on my part. So there we are, no service, 30 miles from the nearest parts store, heavily loaded facing uphill on a busy highway with no way to shift. Well, I have a little flux welder I leave in my truck's utility box, an angle grinder, and a generator that we brought for camping. So end up cutting about 6 inch of chain out of the piece from the truck, and welding it between a 36 in prybar ran through the old T-case hole in the floorboard, and the transmission shift fork. Now, while I had a welder, for some reason putting a welding mask, gloves, and jacket in my truck slipped my mind. Welding overhead flux core without gloves or a mask is not something I recommend. Anyways, after tacking a little bolt onto the prybar to keep it up in the cab, we were ready to give shifting a shot. With my Father driving and using the prybar to depress the clutch, I shifted from the passenger seat. It worked, although my Father was worried about killing it to he had the engine redlined and dumped the clutch into 2nd, which never fully engaged and shook the entire truck so violently that I'll die still being amazing something didn't break. But, once we got the hang of a lever clutch and two person shifting, the rest of the drive to O'Reilly's in Tillamook was uneventful. There, a compression fitting, some DOT 4, a hacksaw and allen wrench were all the was required to patch the line, bleed the clutch, and drive on. All in all the entire repair added about 2 hours to the trip, an arc burn, and about $15.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1685504132856.jpg
    FB_IMG_1685504132856.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 51
  • FB_IMG_1685504138739.jpg
    FB_IMG_1685504138739.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 47
  • FB_IMG_1685504142893.jpg
    FB_IMG_1685504142893.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 50

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's absolutely awesome! My dad was a mechanic on Long Ben Post outside of Saigon in 1970, he could tell stories like that of getting equipment running long enough to get it back to base. I'm an avid watcher of the "A Team" as well, BA Barackus would be proud to have you on the team!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Looking at this thread again.... Why is the t case shifter way up on top?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean. I see the tranny shifter on top and then the t case shifter below it. Looks normal to me...

Nigel1996

Reaction score
It looks like someone installed the bullnose transfer case shifter and tunnel cover.

James
The ZF5 came out of 87 F250 donor truck. Decided that using the T-case and linkage that came with the donor was easier than trying to adapt the original T-case's linkage to the manual. If that T-case and transmission cover was original to a Bullnose the owner of the 87 donor must've swapped it in.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that T-case and transmission cover was original to a Bullnose the owner of the 87 donor must've swapped it in.
If it was an early build 87 ford was probably using up the leftover 86 parts. I have found that transition years end up with some odd combination.

James